Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 T-6 Electrical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 T-6 Electrical Failure

Have a 2004 XC90 T-6 that recently gave me a thud in the drive side dashboard, then all the instruments went out, signals died, windows would not open, AC died and the transmission was stuck in gear - would not shift as the engine rpm's increased! Luckiliy I was on a side street. Turned it off, let it sit and it started ok but all the warning lights on the dash were on. Took it for repair and there were so many codes they could not tell what was wrong. They cleared the codes and it ran fine for 2 weeks - then happened again. Same process, cleared codes and again 4 weeks later, but this time with my wife driving!

Dealer has no idea. Volvo of America has no idea! Yet the car is unreliable and should it do this in highway traffic we could all be hurt!

Does anyone have the solution?

I have heard that the CEM, DIM, or wiring harness tied with the seats might be the issue, but the dealer and Volvo plead ignorant on all counts. CEM is quoted as $1300, DIM is $1300 and check the wiring = $2000. Guess this "luxury" vehicle carries a high price but NO RELIABILITY or Volvo support!

I have also created a google doc shared link in case you would list your name so we can get a list going to share with Volvo to get some action, or find an attorney to help. The link is:https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...fdkJocUE&hl=en

Thanks for any help,

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry buddy, these T-6s are horrible, I have seen it even on wikipedia. Without me scanning and looking at the codes, its up in the air. Might need a trans.?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks, so guess it bad luck of he draw and a lost $55k to a poorly engineered vehicle.

As for the tran, does anyone believe that a bad tranny would kill the electrical system? If that is the case, then this really is a poorly engineered vehicle from a non-supportive manufacturer. Suggest all others be forewarned and purchase a more reliable vehicle from a provider that cares!

I will maintain my pursuit to get Volvo to stand behind their product for which they gladly promoted as being reliable and safe and easily took my money based on that promotion. It is my opinion that as consumers we should make sure to speak out and support each other, as well as make sure that the sellers of such junk either take responsibility for it, or exit the market. Customers rule and eventually win! Do not buy a volvo!

Last edited by buckeyecal; 09-03-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: grammer and new info
Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Unfortunately Buckeye, you will not get much sympathy from most of the Volvo forum boards with out troubled T6's. The attitude is "you shouldn't have bought a T6, too bad, so sad" (see above) and any issues you may have are right off the bat attributed to the transmission. It's the belief that ONLY the T6 is prone to quality problems and all other models are just grand (except just don't wash a V8's engine...it turns into a gremlin).

To your problem...sounds electrical, possibly a ground or short issue. Staying in a gear sounds like the "limp home" mode the car goes into if it experiences a problem. You might want to try and find a independent shop to take a look...dealer service techs seem to only know how to replace parts until the car is fixed without a regard for cost. If you feel the car is unsafe, file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Good luck.

2005 XC90 T6 AWD 103,000 miles (new trans @ 99,000) _For Sale (make offer)

Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM

@furyguy - thanks for the supportive comments. I have found an independent technician and he also is stumped. From the forums, I have seen repetitive comments on the CEM, DIM and wiring, so when I called Volvo of NA, their comment was it needed to be at a dealer for them to get involved - makes sense, but I told them I refuse to pay for dealer diagnostics of an obviously recurring problem as noted on this and other forums. Since local dealers are franchises, they can not adjust the rates, but they have intervened and spoken to my local dealer to let them know they are "working" with me.

The problem still exists, apparently Volvo does not know what it is or refuses to acknowledge it, but if we as consumers work togehter, instead of individually, we can have a greater impact with Volvo. To that end I have created a google doc to capture info from others so we can become a greater force. The link is: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...fdkJocUE&hl=en

I have also contacted the NHTSA, their number is: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday. They will open a complaint, analyze it, and if there are recurring complaints on the same issue, research deeper to see if a recall is necessary.

Therefore, for those of us that have been and continue to be negatively impacted, we have recourse:
Call Volvo of North America and register your complaint.
Call NHTSA and register your complaint
Link to the google doc, register your complaint and we can submit our customer volumes to both of the above to seek assistance, or if not, then to a class action lawyer.

Thanks again to all,

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=buckeyecal;234045]Thanks, so guess it bad luck of he draw and a lost $55k to a poorly engineered vehicle.

How did you lose $55k on a 2004 XC90? I have a 2004 T6 and it has been super reliable for over 100k mikes. Even with that, it isn't worth more than $10k.

Regarding the bad press the T6s seem to get, within a mile of my house there are at least 10 XC90 T6s. Most in Sea Mist (like mine) and I have not yet found an owner who has problems with the transmission. Maybe we are all unusually blessed?