Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM radio in a 2006 XC 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio in a 2006 XC 90

[hr] I have finally found out a way to hookup a xm radio to my xc90 using aux. inputs. There is a company called Denison that makes a gateway 500 car kit. It hooks up with the MOST fiber optic system used for the radio. Your car has to have the cd changer for this to work. You can also hook up an I-Pod to this system. There is also a USB port to hook up anything USB to the radio.

The Denison gateway 500 plugs into the cd changer input on the back of the radio. The cd changer then plugs into the back of the gateway 500. There is a switch to turn on or off the cd changer. When turned off, the cd changer works. When turned on, the gateway 500 takes control. The XM radio is hooked up through the aux. input of the gateway 500 and plays through the cd input on the factory radio. This is even better than a FM direct connect hookup. SRAUDIO is where I got the Denison gateway 500 system. The guy there is very well versed with this system. Just google sraudio and you will get their phone #.

All of this gets done for me on Thursday of this week. I will post a pic of the install and let you know what I think.[/align]

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: XM radio in a 2006 XC 90

Thanks for the info, I believe it would help some XC90 owners.

The process was so well described that I first thought it was posted by a salesman.

Keep up!

JPN

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XM radio in a 2006 XC 90

Well i have to say that I am impressed with the way this install turned out. The Denison 500 does everything I wanted it to. I can listen to an I pod or any other USB device through the radio. The main reason i did this is to listen to XM radio. This works great. The XM is connected to the aux. out of the Denison and plays great through the radio. The denison takes over the CD changer in the car. So you just sellect CD on the radio and whatever is hooked up to the Denison, I pod, XM or whatever plays.

A side note, if you don't have a 6 disc CD changer this won't work in your car. A single CD player won't work with this system because the Denison has to plug into the 6 disc CD changer slot in back of the radio.

Here are some pictures

This pic is of the XM radio installed, I made a bracket, out of wood and painted it black, that fits in the storage slot under the radio that holds the XM. I can still install a CD and can still see the radio screen. The wires come up through a hole in the bottom of the storage box. That way if i ever want to sell I can put the rubber mat back in place to hide the hole.

Name:  DSC02474.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  33.2 KB
This is a pic of the aux. input from the Denison unit, along with the I pod hookup and a USB hookup. This aux. input is what the XM radio is pluged into. There is a switch on the aux. box that you turn on or off. When off your CD player works normally. When on your Denison takes over the CD part of the radio.

Hope this helps out those of you looking for a way to hook stuff up to this crazy fiber optic radio.