Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Help with underglow led's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with underglow led's

HI, I myself do not own a volvo, but a friend of mine does and she wants me to put LED's under her car. I am VERY knowledgeable and have done everything to my vehicle by myself, but her volvo is quite different than my X-runner.

She has an 08 Volvo C70. I looked under her car yesterday to see what I was dealing with and noticed that the whole under body of the car is covered. No access to frame rail's etc... to mount the light tubes.

SO before i start tearing stuff off, I would appreciate some knowledgeable input from you guys that have done this.

Thanks!
Rich.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it, that is what I am stating now and forever will.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by S70driver
Don't do it, that is what I am stating now and forever will.
What is your reason why? just curious.

I am leaning towards not doing it, because of how there is no access to anything under the car without the removal of that giant skid plate or whatever it is.

The install itself is not a problem for me. have done one of these before.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The main reason and it is just a personal one. They look like crap and are pointless.

Other then that... Volvo is a luxury car and they didn't think people would do this type of thing to their cars.

If you really have to do this, then I suggest drilling holes.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by S70driver
The main reason and it is just a personal one. They look like crap and are pointless.

Other then that... Volvo is a luxury car and they didn't think people would do this type of thing to their cars.

If you really have to do this, then I suggest drilling holes.
Well it is not my vehicle and I do agree that they are pointless but she wants them and who am I to judge someone elses taste.

Im gonna get her car up in the air this week so I can get a better idea of what I am dealing with.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Very true! It is a personal preference and I am not disagreeing with S70driver, but it is her car. She should do as she wants and also reflects her sence of style. I personally don't think it will look right on a Volvo as I would NEVER do that to my 850, but there are things I have done to my motorcycles and others were like WTF? So back to the Question at hand. You have 2 choices, you can either Drill holes like S70driver said, but remember that drilling down there might eventually let in moisture somewhere in the car during rain. You could seal the holes once you are done with some JBweld putty OR you can make a few brackets with that same JB weld putty and a few small (3/8) radiator hose clamps. The putty will esentually solidify almost like welding the clamps to the undercariage. This stuff is SOLID once it dries, just make sure to clean the spots well.. That's my 2 cents. Good Luck on the mods.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Very true! It is a personal preference and I am not disagreeing with S70driver, but it is her car. She should do as she wants and also reflects her sence of style. I personally don't think it will look right on a Volvo as I would NEVER do that to my 850, but there are things I have done to my motorcycles and others were like WTF? So back to the Question at hand. You have 2 choices, you can either Drill holes like S70driver said, but remember that drilling down there might eventually let in moisture somewhere in the car during rain. You could seal the holes once you are done with some JBweld putty OR you can make a few brackets with that same JB weld putty and a few small (3/8) radiator hose clamps. The putty will esentually solidify almost like welding the clamps to the undercariage. This stuff is SOLID once it dries, just make sure to clean the spots well.. That's my 2 cents. Good Luck on the mods.
Thanks for the info man. I know I will have to make some brackets to make it work, but that will not be a problem.

I just looked under her car but couldnt get a really good look then. I will figure something out, she really wants them. Her car is black so I dont think it will be that bad. lol.