1992 Volvo 940 Sedan Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM
VKR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Volvo 940 Sedan Blower Motor

My blower motor is occasionally getting noisy and stops working completely on occasion. When working, the fan switch works on all fan speeds. Is the blower motor about to fail, or is something else contributing to the problem? If it is the blower motor, how do I replace it on a 1992 Volvo 940 sedan?

I performed a few searches and was unable to uncover details on the 940. I'm hoping the blower is easier to replace compared to the 240's blower motor which seems to be well documented on this forum. Any help in this matter is appreciated. The car mileage is approximately 217,000 miles.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
VKR
Lightbulb Blower Motor Location Found

OK, the fan was working today but very noisy. I got away from the computer and pinpointed the blower motor noise to the area behind the glove box on the passenger side of the car. Removing the panel directly behind the bottom of the glove box, I found the fan in the right corner, directly above the foot of what would be the passenger's outstretched right leg. It appears the blower motor replacement should be relatively straight forward. I was relieved to discover the blower motor wasn't buried similarly to on the Volvo 240.

Any tips or tricks in regard to purchasing a replacement or replacing the blower motor would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Default Go for the junkyard first

Hey there. I too own a 92 940 sedan which had an extremely noisy blower motor. I replaced it by grabbing one from a junker. If I remember correctly, you'll need either an Allen wrench or a star bit and there's one in particular behind the motor that is a pain to get to. Overall though, it's a pretty easy process. Just shove the new one in and put the bolts back in. If you have any questions, feel free. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM

I just replaced the blower motor in a `92 940 turbo and thought it was straightforward.
It's sorta behind the glove box.
First pull the plastic piece under the glovebox (the passenger would kick it). There were two plastic fasteners that you just twist 90 degrees and pull. Then pull the glovebox. (Two torx screws and one hex below)
Then the plastic trim panel in the corner of the door opening (One Torx screw)
Remove the two screws holding the computer in place but DO NOT unplug the computer wires (Two torx)
Remove the computer holding bracket (Three torx)
Remove the plastic cover below the blower (3 hex)
Remove the blower motor.

The only problem I had was buying a cheap replacement motor. I had to cut up the plastic cover below the blower so the new blower wiring could get through, but other than that it was pretty easy.

Drop a line if you have any questions.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
VKR
Smile Successful Replacement

Freasheadies & anotherskait, thanks for your help. Anotherskait, your directions for removal where very helpful.

I decided to purchase a replacement blower motor from ipd Company Inc. The blower motor part number I purchased is ipd# 3537854. This p/n made for an easy replacement. The blower came with a new rubber gasket and a short adapter cable that enabled me to plug one end directly into the connector that connected to the old blower motor, and the other end plugged into the new blower motor. This eliminated the need to splice any wires... absolutely beautiful. The original motor cover fits over the blower motor assembly and holds the blower in place with three screws. Although the squirrel cage fan on the new unit is slightly shorter in height compared to the original, the unit blows as well if not better than the original. Even with the computer and bracket removed, the blower motor was a bit of a tight fit. You have to be careful not to damage the squirrel cage upon insertion of the blower motor into the duct.

For some reason the blower motor came with an adapter ring of some type, but it was not needed for my 1992 940.

Hopefully closing out this thread helps another 940 owner.

Cheers,

Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Default replacing 940 blower motor

Thanks to VKR et al for help in getting old motor out... I was prepared to drop $575 at the dealership for this repair, as I am NOT any sort of car mechanic... I've worked in factories most of my life and know enough to get in trouble with cars, especially Volvos. I ordered a replacement motor from "Partstrain", and it does not seem to be the same quality as those discussed... mine has a single prong electrical connecter, and the plug coming out of the old motor is a two prong, so now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get it connected... guess I'll have to hope Auto Zone is open on Xmas eve to see if there is some sort of adapter. Moral of story, "Partstrain" may not be the best supplier of Volvo parts.

Murray Krimmas all

Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

It's a two wire thing, +, -... Just cut it and splice it, no connector needed or available.