New to Volvos... 740 Engine Interchange Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Volvos... 740 Engine Interchange Question

I'm the standard person who joins a forum cuz I can't find the specific info I'm looking for. I have tried some searching, but don't really know where to start because I'm new to Volvos.

Here's what I have: 86 740 Turbo Wagon (engine vin code 87), with a thrown rod (yes, I know it is because there is a 2"x2" hole in the block). I have been looking at 2 different engines, and don't know if/why not they will be a good fit. The first is a turbo engine out of a 93 940. The dealer said that it won't match up because of the ignition system. The other is a non-turbo engine out of an 86 740.

The dealer told me that the only engines that I can use are an 85-87 turbo motor out of 740 or 760. All turbos (in my year range) came with the AW71 trans, so I know that much will bolt up. I don't know the condition of the head on mine yet, so I'm looking for a whole engine. I know that from turbo to non-turbo, I would have to change the entire intake/exhaust manifold assemblies.

So my questions: Out of the 86 non-turbo and 93 turbo engines, what are the reasons that they will or will not work in my 86 turbo application? Is there a difference in block for the turbo and non-turbo? Can the ignition stuff from the 86 turbo be put onto the 93 turbo engine?

Thanks very much for the help,
Jason

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM

I believe you could use a later motor, probably with some minor mods.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tedv
I believe you could use a later motor, probably with some minor mods.
Minor mods along what lines? Most of my vehicle experience comes from off-roading (Jeeps and 80s Toyotas). I consider myself a pretty experienced DIY-selfer. I don't have a problem with wiring, suspension, brakes, and replacing about anything, but I don't have much experience in internal engine/transmission work.

Edit: If it helps, I have the VIN numbers from both the 86 and 93. They both have "87" in the engine code position.

Last edited by j_cuz; 05-04-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car should have a B230FT is its turbod and a B230F if NA.

The reason they say it wount work with alater motor is the fact the I believe your current setup is a LH2.2 and the newer motors/ ECU and ICUs use LH2.4

Now I believe you can just sway out the boxes and change the wiring harness so it is now LH2.4 or there might be a way to change the ECU and ICU and just and some sensor that are missing????

But to answer the main question, Yes. tedv is right. If I was doing the swap...I would go with a 94+ B230FT from a 900 for it has both lager 13mm rods (unlike the 9mm I believe yours had? Actually, I thought some Late 80's 700 motors had forged internals????) and it has pistion squriters.

I believe most redblock trans can be switch....some one confirm this?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
The car should have a B230FT is its turbod and a B230F if NA.
Does that make them the same block, head, and everything else besides the turbo related parts of the intake and exhaust?

The reason they say it wount work with alater motor is the fact the I believe your current setup is a LH2.2 and the newer motors/ ECU and ICUs use LH2.4

Now I believe you can just sway out the boxes and change the wiring harness so it is now LH2.4 or there might be a way to change the ECU and ICU and just and some sensor that are missing????
So I would need to change to the new computer? Couldn't I just keep the old one? The reason is that I can buy the 93 engine, but I don't know if the scrapyard still has the ECU and related electronic components. If I changed the injectors and everything to that of the old motor, would it work? That seems the easiest to me... just take all electronic related things from the old motor and put them on the new one.

But to answer the main question, Yes. tedv is right. If I was doing the swap...I would go with a 94+ B230FT from a 900 for it has both lager 13mm rods (unlike the 9mm I believe yours had? Actually, I thought some Late 80's 700 motors had forged internals????) and it has pistion squriters.
I'm not looking for performance. I know the previous owner of the vehicle had the boost turned up around 25 psi, but this car is just a daily that will never see any performance, competition, or racing type of driving. It was bought for $500, and needs to stay cheap.

I believe most redblock trans can be switch....some one confirm this?
The dealer confirmed that the AW71 is the same behind both the 93 and 86 Turbo models.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get any block your little heart desires. If it were me though I would pick out the 93 940 motor because it has a more durable bottom end. 91 was the year they dropped the 9mm rods and changed the exhaust manifold and turbo. If your original head isn't trashed you would reuse that one and just swap out the block only, as in. Every bit of wiring or thing bloted to your old block gets bolted to the new one. Including your stall converter cus I believe thats how the lh 2.2 measured crank position. And finally drill a hole where the oil can drain back into the pan, you'll know where when you look at your old block. You can run the turbo also, but you absolutely must run only stock boost and always run premium and on hot days don't drive like a maniac.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Got Boost?

Originally Posted by j_cuz
Does that make them the same block, head, and everything else besides the turbo related parts of the intake and exhaust?
I believe the only difference is the turbo motor has 8.7:1 CR, which I believe they have different pistons, and maybe rods too? the Turbo head has sodium filled exhaust valves and I believe a T-grind cam. though you should be able to use most of the volvo cams. Other then that, I believe they are the same.

Originally Posted by j_cuz
I'm not looking for performance. I know the previous owner of the vehicle had the boost turned up around 25 psi, but this car is just a daily that will never see any performance, competition, or racing type of driving. It was bought for $500, and needs to stay cheap.
Understandable....Hope it last you a long time!
25psi will definitly through a rod on a stock motor.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Picked up the 93 engine today. Looks the same all around, but I guess I won't know until the old one comes out. Hope to have all the work done within a week (as long as there are no major hangups). Thanks guys for all the help. The advice was priceless.

-Jason

Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Got Boost?

Sweet hope it goes smoothly for you...

Remember the timing is 1342. with #1 at the front of the motor.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 PM

And the fun begins...

Turns out that the bolts that hold the connecting rod onto the crankshaft failed. Holes in both sides of the block.

Pulled engine yesterday. Got new starter (engine blowing up broke bracket) and gaskets today, clutch comes in tomorrow, and hopefully everything goes back in tomorrow too.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM

hey good luck with that. just for refrence though as i was told(even by a dealer) that ANY b23 series engine will interchange(i didnt see it mentioned above) from the 70s i think on up to the mid 90's the only diffrences are the diffrent fuel/ignition systems but youd be reusing those parts anyhows and na engines you cannot run turbo i forget the exact number its like 5 or something psi max. and of corse youd be swapping the distributor bc they used hall effect sensors in some others used the sensor in the flywheel. correct me if the info i was provided through the years is wrong though because if it is wrong itd be good to know for my own volvo

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ There are a lot of differences. Rods, pistons, I believe the cranks switched from shoulder guided to piston guided. Then the placement of the distributor changed too.