2000 V70 xc dies, won't stay running.... ETM?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V70 xc dies, won't stay running.... ETM?

Hi everyone.... Was hoping someone could help me diagnose a problem my Volvo has been having, as I really need to fix it so I can have a car again but can't afford to tow it to a mechanic.

About a month ago, it suddenly started randomly dying on me. At first, it did it once or twice far enough apart that I thought it was just an odd one off incident. First few times it didn't die, but felt like it wanted to, then when I gave it more gas it went back to normal.

That night when I went to drive home from work, it died a lot more on me. About every 2-3 miles it would try to die. Sometimes if I dropped a gear or floored it real quick, it would fix itself. Other times it would completely shut off and of have to coast to the side of the highway and restart it.

I never noticed it idle low. It was always about 1k rpm, which seemed normal to me.

Anyways, I drove it a few more days after that with it's issues. Some days it would die often, other days it would go all day with no issues.

After 3-4 days, I went to take it to work and it literally wouldn't drive more than 10 ft before dying. After a spirited attempt to get to work, I was forced to turn around and bring it back home, limping and dying all the way.

It's been about a month now, and when I go to start it now.... It won't idle. Just dies right away, even if you push the gas I believe.

I'm not sure if it has any check engine codes for this, as it's had the engine and limp mode lights on for months due to a transmission sensor I hadn't gotten around to fixing yet.

I have been told by some people that it could be the ETM, or the ETM sensor, or the MAF. Looking up info on the ETM, I feel like my symptoms don't quite match what people say it causes, so I'm not sure.

So, I am reaching out.... And wondering if anyone can help me with what I should check to hopefully diagnose and fix the problem? I really need a car again, but I'm.not even sure where to start or how to test the ETM if that's the probable cause.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop by AutoZone and have them scan your car for codes.