Mechanic says my Engine is dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic says my Engine is dead

1999 v70 xc/ AWD 231300 miles:

I was driving yesterday @40-50 mph when I accelerated to 60, all of a sudden the engine started spewing white exhaust and then started sputtering and not idling when I stopped at a red light 5 minutes later. It stalled but it re started and I got it home at 25 mph. I changed the spark plugs this morning, # 3 and # 4 were filled with oil and there was oil covering the whole top of the engine block. After changing the plugs and mopping up all the oil, it didn't even come close to starting.

Got it towed to the mechanic and he said I need a new engine. Starting est. $2500. This is a 99 v70 XC/ AWD with a rebuilt transmission 75000 mi ago and with ok brakes, new tires and new battery.
The mechanic said it was running rich, and that the timing belt was off by one mark. Is it worth repairing or should I cut my losses? Ironically I just ordered the 3rd row jump seat to install to add more room and versatility with the amount of carpooling we do.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM

The mechanic also said that 3 of the cylinders had no pressure, 1 had half pressure, and one was operating fully.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Default So How Much will it cost for a new engine?

The mechanic said he won't install an engine that has more than 65, 000 miles on it..... ok, that's sort of reassuring.

Anyone want to guess what the final number will be?

Realistically, what is the bottom line going to be and what is the amount that is the line of not being worth repairing?

2500, 3000, 3500?

Again, it's a 99 v70 XC/AWD with 231,000 miles on it with a transmission that was rebuilt 75,000 miles ago.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What (you reported that) your mechanic said makes no sense. How do you go from a running engine to an engine with no compression on three cylinders? What have you not told us?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM

Yes that it was the mechanis said. Thats what I dont understand. I was at a stop and accelerated to 45mph in about 8 seconds then held that speed for about 30 seconds then accelerated to 60. As I sped to 60 white smoke started coming out of the tailpipe and when I stopped 2 minutes later at a traffic light the engine stalled. I was able to restart it and drove 2 miles @ 25 mph to my garage.
The following morning I changed all 5 spark plugs. There were areas where oil had collected on top of the engine u(under the plastic black lid that has the eight torx screws) and the #2 and #3 cylinders were filled with oil.
I was able to soak up all the oil before removing the spark plugs.
When I tried to start the engine, it sounded like it was trying to turn over but it never got running.

Again, its a 1999 v70 XC/AWD with 231000 miles on it. I was told by the previous owner that the transmission was rebuilt 75000 miles ago.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:36 AM

I'm expecting the mechanic to call this afternoon (Tues, Sept 4)with an estimate on a new engine. Just wondering if I should get a second opinion or go with what he says if the price is around $3000?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM

heavy white smoke denotes a head gasket..if you drove it long enough after the white smoke started, your oil would dilute enough/mix with antifreeze and seize the engine, hence being easy to go from running to not.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes. The engine is dead. I've moved on now.
Getting an identical engine, same year with 81000 miles.
Total cost parts and labor 3380 with 1000 up front.
Don't think I could by another v70 with 81K for 3380.

The mechanic said the whole job/operation/transplant would take 8 business days.
I think it's my only option and not too shabby given the circumstances.
We'll see how it all turns out on Friday Sept 14.

What's everyone else think?

Last edited by surpata; 09-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 AM

I am curious as to the source of the engine, since I am looking for an engine for my 99 V70 right now for the exact same reason, and am concerned to put in an engine that will simply repeat what appears to be a very common failure for these engines. I am being quotes slightly higher for the work, but really will feel stupid if another engine croaks right away. Any forum members thoughts as to the value of just putting in a new head gasket on a motor with 81k even if it seems like it doesnt need one at the moment, just to know its new?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Everything makes sense to me. You were driving along and BLEW the head gasket. This is the 2nd cause of older cars leaving the road, #1 being accidents that the repairs exceed the value.

The thing about it is, something happened that caused the head gasket to blow, most likely it overheated somehow. You either had a water pump fail, a radiator or hose leak that caused the coolant to escape or something like that. Once the car overheats, the head warps, causing the breach in the head gasket. If the head warps enough it will loose compression and cause it not to run. For a car to run it actually needs 4 things not 3. Spark, Air, Fuel and COMPRESSION.

As for the cost to repair, you either have to replace the motor which should take 12 hours or replace the head which should take 12 hours. If the motor got hot enough it could have cracked the block which would leave you with one option. The average cost of a head job with a new head gasket is about $2,800. The average cost to replace the motor is about the same with a used motor. Don't be so stuck on a low mileage motor, that's a bunch of bull. These motors, when properly maintained can last up to 500,000 miles (talking about wear). So a motor with 200,000 is not problem if it has been taken care of. There are 2 things that are important about a motor, piston wear and valve condition. If the pistons do not have much wear and the valve stems are not leaking (which can cause burnt valves) the motor will be fine. Both can easily be checked by a good mechanic. My car has over 214,000 miles on it and it has little or no motor wear. I checked the compression about 8,000 miles ago and the compression numbers were very high, about 176 across the board. The compression number specs for these turbo motors are 156 to 186. There is no smoke coming out of my tail pipe at all so my valve seals are probably fine. I'm looking to get the 500,000. 900 Other things will send this car to the grave before the motor will.

I just did the head on our S70 GLT and it cost me about $850. You can get a new/rebuilt head for about $430 shipped from a place in FL. Our car has about 170,000 on it and the motor is so tight it should outlast the body. The thing that I realized while doing the job is that the head had been done within the past 4 years. Whoever did it last didn't do a perfect job so things gradually got bad for us. This is a job that has to be done RIGHT. The compression numbers on this car is between 163 and 169.

So, back to the real issue, what caused the head gasket to blow in the first place??? May not matter now, but if the repairs are less than the replacement I say get it repaired. I'm using full synthetic oil in both cars so I don't think I will have ANY more motor wear.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, almost forgot. I have been communicating with a guy that needed a motor in his 850. He got a motor that was suppose to have 45,000 miles on it. Turned out they think it actually had 94,000 on it. Then the mechanic told him that a compression test was done and it had great compression numbers all the way across. When he asked for the numbers, he as told 150 across the board. When he said "Stop The Music" 150 is bad numbers, the guy then told him he would double check and came back with 175 across the board, after the customer told the mechanic the proper range. After he got the car back it was missing and running weak compared to the other motor. They also failed to install the other new parts he gave them, timing belt, water pump, etc. Well, about a week later he checked the compression numbers himself and had something like 170, 165, 150, 175, and 179. The low #3 was causing a problem. Make sure you get a written 90 day warranty. Any mechanic that will charge you over $2,000 to do the job should.

Another things to have done with the newer motor or head job:
- New cam seals (they come in the head gasket kit).
- New water pump.
- New timing belt.
- New timing belt idler, tensioner, and tensioner roller.
- New REAR MAIN SEAL.
- New PCV kit.

Those things will add cost in parts and just a little more to the labor because they can be put on a motor while it's out or while the head is being done. Should only add about 1 hour of labor.

When all those things are done, the motor should only need oil changes for the next 100,000 miles which will outlast the car. Really how many of us will actually have these cars in 8 years?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Default Thank You

Thanks for the indepth response, and the valuable info with hard numbers.

Just gaot a call that the engine is out, the new one should arrive on Tuesday (Sept 11). The mechanic said I also need to replace the lower radiator hose, the right front engine mount and one other part near the right wheel and axle (al 3 added another $250 to the 3380).

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Default Ecu/ ecm

Is the compatability of the engine and ECU/ ECM a major issue if the engine replacement is identical to the original?

Should the ECU/ ECM be replaced as well?

What are some signs to look for if/ when the car is repaired?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Default Engine Replacement Update

Mechanic says the replacement engine has 81K. I've driven the ol' V with no problems all week around town. We'll see how she does on the interstate tomorrow.

Grand total parts labor tax= $4100. Ouch. I really hope to keep the ol' girl for the next 12 years, at least. Just added the 3rd row rear facing seat, as well. I really like this work horse, but I'm afraid the next major repair will send her out to pasture.

We'll see.........