['04 V70] Awful passenger footwell leak, no grommet like XC70!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ['04 V70] Awful passenger footwell leak, no grommet like XC70!

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some guidance on a repair for a really bad leak in my car and hopefully document more of this common issue. I've done a lot of interior upgrades and have posted guides online to help people out, but I've never had to deal with something like this.

My car was parked on the sidewalk for a week during the storm and the entire carpet got flooded. Apparently this is a common problem, due to a pretty bad design flaw (according to research and YouTube videos).
From what I understand the problem arises from 2 common issues:

1. bad seal around the air intake under the windshield cowl

2. bad grommet (right angle rubber outlet) which channels water from the sunroof out to the firewall via a small tube.

I took a look at my sunroof and it definitely looks clogged, I tried pouring water and nothing came out:
4.jpg Photo by organic_unity | Photobucket
2.jpg Photo by organic_unity | Photobucket

The left side looks much better:
5.jpg Photo by organic_unity | Photobucket

However, unlike all the videos I've been finding online, I do not have a rubber grommet to help the water exit the firewall. Even worse, the tube for the sunroof drain is not clear, so I can't see where it's clogged
11.jpg Photo by organic_unity | Photobucket
10.jpg Photo by organic_unity | Photobucket

I can't get to the exit of the tube without disassembling the entire dash, as far as I can tell. oh mannn I don't want to do that. The water does seem to be trapped in the top, for right now though.

So here are my questions for you wise Volvo owners:
1. Does anyone know of a guide for V70 (not XC70) for this kind of repair?
2. Do I need to take out the dash?
3. Has anyone tried forcing the water out through a pump? I was thinking of buying an aquarium pump to rig something up...
4. Are there any other known locations for this kind of leak to come in?

I already tore out all of the carpet (when I put it back in I'll be making a video guide for how to do this correctly, since the ones I found on YouTube are actually incorrect) but obviously I'd like to fix the leak before putting a new carpet in...

Thanks for your help!