A/C not working :( - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

A/C not working :(

Old 11-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Default A/C not working :(

Hey everyone! I have a 2010 V70 R Design 3.2 and the darn A/C isnít working properly. Some days it will work for a minute or two then go off for 10-20 minutes, then come back on for a couple more minutes. It continues this pretty much all of the time. Anyone had a similar issue and figured out how to fix it??

Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by NatesV70RDesign View Post
Hey everyone! I have a 2010 V70 R Design 3.2 and the darn A/C isnít working properly. Some days it will work for a minute or two then go off for 10-20 minutes, then come back on for a couple more minutes. It continues this pretty much all of the time. Anyone had a similar issue and figured out how to fix it??
When I replaced my aux aka "drive" belt I asked the dealership whether I should consider replacing any other parts while I was mucking about in there. The parts guy asked one of the more experienced mechanics who suggested that I MIGHT want to replace the AC clutch. He said that they had seen a few fail and when they do, they often take the compressor out with it. I'm not sure that it's possible on this engine given how crowded it is in the bay but ideally what you would do is verify whether clutch is still engaging the compressor when it should. I.e. when the ac shuts off and you KNOW that it should be running full blast pop the hood open and see if only the AC gear is turning our whether the clutch has elso engaged the compressor. If it's just the gear, you'll know you need a new clutch/gear. If the compressor is in fact still engaging you've either run out of R12 or the compressor is fried.