CVVT Timing Error Code, '01 V70

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVVT Timing Error Code, '01 V70

Hi I am a new member with an xc70 2001 Volvo. I have replaced the motor due to original engine failure due to overheating.
When I fitted the motor I changed over the cam sensor on the rear of the exhaust cam and the cvvt valve on top of the cam as well due to the fact that the ones that came with the secondhand motor had different wiring plugs, the car is running and is pinging its head off at times. I should note that I also replaced the timing belt and have checked and reset it three times to make sure it was correct, I down loaded the instructions from a forum which also included the resetting of the cvvt gear on the exhaust cam, which I have also rechecked. There is a code that comes up which says that there is a cam control fault but as far as I can see everything is set correctly but was wondering if the fact that I have swapped the valve on the rocker cover for the cvvt if that would log a code. I would love some suggestions as I am at my witts end. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible the CVVT unit is faulty. Also, the CVVT may not be adjusted properly. It took me several tries to reset it properly.

Your car shouldn't ping. It has 2 sensors on the front of the motor block.It may ping once or twice then the ECU should back off the timing to reduce the ping. Make sure the connectors are plugged in.

Post your codes.

CVVT procedure:

1 ) Assure that the crankshaft is at the timing mark.

2 ) Install the cam lock tools.

3 ) Install the upper portion of the timing belt cover.

4 ) Install the intake camshaft sprocket, adjust the sprocket so that the timing mark is aligned with the timing mark. This should have the sprocket bolts at the midpoint of the slotted bolt holes.

5 ) Torque the intake cam sprocket bolts to 15 ft. lbs.

6 ) Install the CVVT actuator and the exhaust camshaft sprocket as a single unit with the sprocket bolts loose. Do not tighten the center bolt on the CVVT actuator.

7 ) Rotate the exhaust cam sprocket clockwise until the timing mark is 1 tooth before the timing mark. At this point the sprocket bolts should be all the way to the left hand stops on the slotted holes.

8 ) Tighten the center bolt on the CVVT actuator. Go slowly at first so as to avoid having the actuator rotate. Once the actuator bites on the end of the camshaft tighten the center bolt to 89 ft. lbs.

9 ) Install the center cap on the CVVT actuator unit. At this point the CVVT actuator unit should rotate, with resistance, in a clockwise direction.

10 ) Install the timing belt making sure that the belt is taught from the crankshaft sprocket, across the idler roller, and on to the intake camshaft sprocket. Before you thread the belt around to the exhaust camshaft sprocket you need to rotate the center cap on the CVVT actuator unit clockwise as far as it will go. Before the belt is threaded onto the exhaust camshaft sprocket, in addition to holding the CVVT actuator at the clockwise limit, the timing mark on the exhaust camshaft sprocket should be aligned to the timing mark.

11 ) Continue threading the timing belt until it is around the water pump and the tensioner. Adjust the tensioner until the indicator is in the window and then tighten down the locking bolt.

12 ) While the exhaust camshaft CVVT actuator is at its clockwise limit tighten the exhaust camshaft sprocket bolts to 8 ft. lbs (or snug, my torque wrench is worthless at that low of a setting). The exhaust camshaft sprocket bolts should not be at either limit in the slots.

13 ) Remove the cam adjustment tools and then rotate the engine by hand, clockwise, 2 revolutions and reset the tension on the tensioner. Check to assure that all of the timing marks are properly aligned.

When I did my CVVT unit I found it was not possible to torque the CVVT to spec without using a proper cam lock. Otherwise, the CVVT would move on the cam and change the timing of the cam.

Originally Posted by Emex05
Hi I am a new member with an xc70 2001 Volvo. I have replaced the motor due to original engine failure due to overheating.
When I fitted the motor I changed over the cam sensor on the rear of the exhaust cam and the cvvt valve on top of the cam as well due to the fact that the ones that came with the secondhand motor had different wiring plugs, the car is running and is pinging its head off at times. I should note that I also replaced the timing belt and have checked and reset it three times to make sure it was correct, I down loaded the instructions from a forum which also included the resetting of the cvvt gear on the exhaust cam, which I have also rechecked. There is a code that comes up which says that there is a cam control fault but as far as I can see everything is set correctly but was wondering if the fact that I have swapped the valve on the rocker cover for the cvvt if that would log a code. I would love some suggestions as I am at my witts end. Thank you.

Last edited by MaxOrbit; 10-19-2013 at 10:12 PM.