Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Trouble adjusting CVVT, getting P0014 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble adjusting CVVT, getting P0014 code

I bought a 2001 S80 2.9L with a blown head gasket for $700. However after getting a compression check on head, valve job done, replacing timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, oil trap, radiator, head gasket, serpentine belt, thermostat, inner and out tie rod, upper motor mount, coils, spark plugs, and r/h half shaft I thought I was good to go. I cranked it up and got a p0014 code for over advancement. I've tried adjusting it but can't seem to get the code to clear. I was using the cam locking tool so I know the cams are timed correctly with the crank but just can't get the CVVT right. It's got a new updated solenoid screen gasket with new Valvoline 5w30 synthetic oil. The bolts are locked at the full clockwise position on the CVVT. If I clear the code I can go a mile or so without it popping the MIL but if I stop and restart it the MIL will pop. I would try going further but the safety sticker is out so don't want to get ticket.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Of the three bolts are all the way to the right, and you still suspect the VVT is set incorrectly then the hub/camshaft relationship is wrong. You will need to unbolt the inner bolt on the VVT unit (not just the cap of course) and set it again.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

I originally forgot to loosen the three bolts on the VVT before I torqued the center bolt so it could not float. Could that be the cause? Should I have those loose before I torque the center bolt then check left and right travel to stops on VVT then tighten them down at full right stops? Then tighten the cap screw down?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM

This is off topic but i can't figure out to post a question-thank you

Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM

beachgirl as you are looking at all threads you will notice at the top left there will be a box that says start new thread. click that and fill out the title and describtion or problem.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Okay now I fixed the CVVT and got rid of the MIL but now shortly after that the left message board popped up Engine System Service Required. When I went to clear it by holding the trip/odometer reset button it popped up as a code 44. What is this? I plugged my OBD II reader in but no error codes displayed. Is this a service light message for scheduled repairs like timing belt?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 PM

This is my first Volvo to work on so I'm trying to learn it as fast as I can. However, I think I'm one step behind it. I went to clear codes with my scanner even though it wasn't popping a code to see if it would clear the message. But after doing so the car went from running perfectly fine to running like pure crap. Similar to as if the MAF was disconnected. It was stumbling and sputtering as if it was wanting to die. Granted the code clearing removed the message but it removed the performance as well. Since it was giving an over advancement previously I was wondering if I changed it to a over retarded state which changed the MIL to the message. Don't know how Volvo programmed the Modules to handle codes. Therefore it is making it hard to pin point the system to address. O2 sensors are showing ok on my scanner after running check on them. Prior to resetting the none existing code the MAF was stead fast at 2.0.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Started car to allow Modules to complete there diagnostics and now the car is running fine again without a MIL or Engine System Service Required Message. Still have to take for a test drive before I say it is fixed. But first I have to replace a front upper coil spring seat that is busted before I go on test drives.