Ordering updated IPD transmission servo cover. Do I need their Trans flush hose kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering updated IPD transmission servo cover. Do I need their Trans flush hose kit?

I am ordering the IPD updated Transmission servo cover to hopefully fix my transmission shift "flares" on my 2003 V70 XC today. I haven't checked my fluid yet, but guessing it's a bit tired looking, and that a flush would be a good thing.

IPD suggests their "Transmission flush kit" which is mostly clear tubing and an o-ring and a replacement clamp or clip for the trans cooler line at $25.

Do I need this to do a transmission flush?
If my fluid looks OK, do I even need to do a flush?
Is a partial drain and refill good enough?

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 10-03-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

First, I just installed the servo cover update on my 2001 T5, and it TOTALLY fixed my 2-3 flare (and any other strange shifting, though I haven't had the car long enough to really notice too much). Best $25 spent on one of my cars, ever.

Personally I wouldn't do the "transmission flush"... mainly because it takes SO much tranny fluid (and I'm cheap). I'd more likely just drain and refill a couple times over a 10-20,000 mile cycle. Yes, there will be some old fluid left in the system, but it's still going to be a LOT better than what was there before you started. This is my next maintenance task - I haven't even looked at the fluid (other than the tiny bit that escaped when I did the servo cover), but I'd prefer to get at least 3-4 quarts of Mobil 3309 in my tranny before going too far.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You live in AZ. It's HOT here during the summer. I'd be changing my fluid at LEAST every 30,000 miles, especially if you're not running an external cooler. I just did a drain/refill the last weekend and installed a magnefine filter in the return line. In the upcoming weeks I'll install a cooler.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Webbch, that's good advice. I'll certainly plan to at least consider a tranny cooler and filter before next summer (assuming I keep this car - I sold the last one I rehab'd after using it for a long road trip, but the wife is getting pretty attached to this one). I agree that the life of a transmission goes up dramatically when you can keep the temperatures down. But hey, I haven't even crawled under the car yet to see if it might already HAVE a tranny cooler (probably not, but I could get a happy surprise).

Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, back to my question please guys, Do I need the IPD flush kit for $25 to flush

Anyone?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get all the old fluid out faster by disconnecting the return line and routing it to a bucket. You just have to be ultra careful not to run the transmission dry. I don't quite understand the logic of that flush kit. Seems like all your doing is dumping new fluid in and then draining it right back out without giving it much chance to mix in with the old fluid. At least if you disconnect the return line, you're pumping out the fluid and purging the old fluid out of the torque converter. Seems like you could get the tubing and some clamps at your local hardware store for a lot less, but maybe it's worth it to avoid the fuss of having to figure out sizes and such. What I'd REALLY like to find out is where I can get the freaking fitting for the radiater oil cooler outlet, so I could make up a very simple, yet effective flush hose. The only option I see is to buy an old line, and chop of the necessary fitting...well, those of us without a metal lathe at our disposal, that is.

That said, I just did a drain/refill on mine. I'll do another in a week or so.

If you disconnect the return line at the tansmission, I'd highly recommend getting a 21mm crows foot wrench. I found it impossible to get any leverage on a normal wrench, and ended up using a very short crescent wrench and selection of other wrenches in what looked like a lego construction project to effectively do the same thing. I got it loose, but was cursing that my crows foot set only went to 19mm

Last edited by webbch; 10-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.