Resetting Check Engine & Air bag lights.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resetting Check Engine & Air bag lights.?

So this is a follow up on my other post about the Water leak in the Driver's side.

Volvo V70 2002.

I was trying to remove the wet carpet on the driver's side so as to make it easier to clean it and dry it.

It looked like it is secured with 2 bolts that hold the latch that opens the hood.

I removed the bolts and it seems they have 2 ground wires attached to them. That wrecked havoc on the car. The car started fine after I bolted them back down.

But now I get an Air bags warning and a Constant "Check Engine" light ON in the dash.

I am due for a smog check soon and as far as I know they will not pass the car with the check engine light on.

Is there a way to reset these things ? so the car goes back to normal ??

I hate this f...ing thing, it is too complicated of a car.

I REALLY can NOT afford to take this to the dealer or someone else to reset this stupid check engine light.

HELP please.

Thank you.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Go to a local Autozone and "rent" (free at my local) an OBD2 code reader. That will let you see the CEL codes and reset. Keep in mind if there's truly a faulty device reporting in, the code will simply come back and you need to fix the root cause. Airbag warning lights are just like the CEL - the OBD2 design has different code sets - ie P codes report on the "powertrain" - typically emission controls/engine management. There's also a set of chassis codes with report on the airbags/SRS devices, another set for the ABS, another for the climate control etc. Just make sure the code reader can do both engine codes and the airbag codes. It will plug into a port under the driver's side of the dash - kind of looks like an old school printer port. plug in, turn the key to position two and have a pen handy to write down your codes.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As above but be warned that many code readers won't clear SRS (air bag) codes.
However, there are many for sale which do. Even the oft maligned Harbor Freight has one which is claimed to. It's at and above a certain price level. If you have to buy a code reader do so locally and if it fails to clear the code they said it would clear, you'll be able to return it instantly.

Please do get back to us with the codes your pull as well as the brand and model of reader which you find successful.

If you were nearby I'd clear the codes for you. Alas, you ain't

Old 07-26-2020, 01:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Code reader borrowed for free from auto zone will not read or correct SRS airbags message.

Any volvo place wants big money just to plug in and remove the code.

Any other place that has a code reader I can use ? One person said Harbor Frieigh has one, which model ?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I gave a quick look online. Their Zurich ZR13 has ABS and SRS capability.
If you go to a HF store the scanners are in a row. Left to right is basic to more complicated/capable.

Autel has a good website for comparison shopping.

I lucked out when a fellow sold his Volvo and had a BSR-PPC reader to sell.
These are not to be found anywhere. Years ago they came onto and left the market in about 6 months.
I believe there was a limit to the license agreed to by Volvo and BSR.
Too bad you're so far away.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

the one time I had to reset an SRS code, my local indy shop just came out and scanned/cleared it for free. They knew if it was truly a problem the code would just reset. I have a $29 HF to do CEL reads which has met my needs to date. You may also want to check out Amazon for a bluetooth scanner that talks to an app on my phone like the BlueDriver bluetooth...