All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

Intertiment Starting Problem 740

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intertiment Starting Problem 740

<FONT size=2>

Hi:</P>

Thanks for any input you are willing to provide’</P>

Re: 1987 Volvo 740 GLE (non turbo)</P>

Problem: Will not start on an intermittent basis (not as intermittent as it might seem on further effort as described below)</P>

Action taken thus far:</P>

Had it towed 3 times to 3 different mechanics the last time to a very knowledgeable Volvo mechanic.</P>

The first 2 mechanics gave up because ever time they tried to start it, it worked perfectly.</P>

The 3<SUP>rd</SUP> kept the car for five days --- tried numerous times and it always started --- he let it run for various lengths of time up to 4 hours once and could not get it to fail to start. I picked the car up drove it for 20 or so miles into my drive way ---- shut it off and ten minutes later tried to start it and it just kept turning over with no results pushed it in the garage and left it over night --- it immediately started in the morning --- I drove it 2 miles and parked and just for kicks tried to start it and again got the same no start results --- 2 hours later it started up right away --- drove it for 15 or so miles and turned it off --- tried to start it and it fired up right away at 5 and 10 minutes interval up to an hour.</P>

Fuel Pumps Work ---- get spark --- battery fully charged.</P></FONT>

Old 01-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Default Intertiment Starting Problem 740

When it does not start, do the dash guages or lights go on?</P>

I am working with my 740 where it has started almost every day for 16 years. Recently it throws fits and will not kick over. The dash lights and guages do not move. If I get into the car, turn the key and see the guages move and lights begin to flicker, the car will start.....what is the problem? Went to two mechanics and of course, the car runs perfectly when at the mechanic(s). I believe the problem to be a short somewhere and am looking.</P>

Another possiblity is to check the main wiring harness for breakdown and therefore shorts. </P>

Do not know if any of this will help but at least you are not alone!</P>

</P>

Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Default distributor is going away

Time to replace the distributor, or at lest the hall sending unit.
I went through this two years ago, with my wife's 87, 740 Turbo
I looked on e-bay after being properly horrified at the replacement cost through the usual sources. I found a place in Bakersfield AIP, and another which was slightly less expensive (117 vs 138) both came with cap and rotor.
When you replace the distributor, have no fear it only goes in one way, and if you remember where the spark plug wires go, and mark appx where the the it sits (timing wise) on the slotted bracket, you'll be fine.
Make sure the (three wire) connector sits in the distributor with a nice clean click. I put a coating of clear RTV sealant over it to reduce oxidation water grease, oil etc.