Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Play DVD's/PS2 on Navi screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play DVD's/PS2 on Navi screen

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a PS2 or portable DVD player (in a 2005 S60R with Navigation) and some how inegrate it into the stock NAVI system so it would play on the NAV screen, wiring it with a switch so you can go between NAV and DVD's/ PS2.

If so how would you go about doing it? Or any better Ideas????

Thanks
Cotton

Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Play DVD's/PS2 on Navi screen

I did not see Volvo listed for their systems but cant hurt to email or call them. http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm

Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Here is another link someone on swedespeed sent me for future reference, plus it is designed for volvo!
Thanks for the input though.
http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...ticle_982.html

Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM

if it has a video input and a couple extra audio inputs anything is posible.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Would you be able to play your ipod through the nav system as well? Like menus and maybe even videos working?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 AM

if you had a video Ipod and the necessary inputs on the Volvo Nav system you could see the video on the screen but you would likly not be able to control the Ipod through the Nav system....you'd still need to use the IPod controls.

I don't know anything about Volvo Nav systems....however, a rational line of thought would bring me to the conclussion that you cannot hook up an Ipod to a Nav system, period. I doubt the Nav systems have an extra video input....look how long it took them to come up with a viable integration to their stereos! IMO....the Volvo Nav systems are too valuable to try to integrate Ipod control (aftermarket that is...Volvo should just take the initiative and do it themselves....it's the next step in conssumer "needs"). If you break it you're screwed....and them things aint cheap!

If you really want to hook up a PS2 or DVD player in your car....just get a DVD player and a couple sun vissor monitors, or a couple head rest monitors. The other alternative is to scrap the Nav system and build a carPC.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Ok...
So here is the latest update!!!
I got my IMIV a month or so back, istalled it. It come with amazing istructions on install and stuff. Depending on what setup you buy the unit actually gets plugged in before the Nav system so the HU (HU= Head Unit) actually see's the IMIV first I chose this setup b/c the audio from your Ipod sounds better! Once the unit is fully installed you have more uption under you source button like TV 1 &2 and a few others!
And yes with the newer Ipods that have video capability you can play video's on the Nav screen. However in order for it to look right you have to change the video setting on your Ipod from NTSC to PAL ( America use's NTSC video output and europe/other coutries use PAL video the difference between the 2 is the amount of frames per second)
Volvo being european the LCD screen in the car uses a PAL video input ONLY!!!!
But it does work it took tons of research but I finally got it, the playstation has the same issue U.S. Playstation 2 puts out an NTSC video while the LCD screen in the car is a in PAL format!
Fortunatle they make NTSC to PAL converters, here is the one that works http://www.carconverters.com.au/prod...erter/138.html
There is tons and tons of info about the IMIV on Swesespeed and here http://www.imiv.ca/
The have recently released some new one also depending on what you want to do!
This really is a cool product it def took some time and effort to work the bugs out but that is just b/c it is new. And now there is enough input from people who have had them for a while to get answers to just about any question quick!
Any questions let me know I am no pro but I will help the best i can!

Thanks
Cotton

Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM

That's a great find! and some nice research. So, does the IMIV have a video input as well?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Yes It has an Ipod input the cable is included, I ran my cable up into the armrest/center console. Right next to the Ipod input are audio/video inputs (RCA'S)
It is put together well!
Something I forgot to mention earlier when you plug the Ipod in you can create a playlist ion you Ipod by genre or wahtever and can scroll through you music with the steering wheel controls just like you would scroll through tracks on a CD!
I am really only scratching the surface the IMIV web site has tons of info on what it can do!

http://www.imiv.ca/index.html

Later
Cotton

Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM

awesome....did you install it or did you have it installed?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 PM

I installed it myself!
The instructions are easy to follow and it is not that hard to setup.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 PM

You should do a write up and post in the write up section. Lots of people will want to know.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:05 AM

this is pretty cool, i have a 05 s40 with nav, i would love to get this installed and owrking, but i do have a few questions. How do i switch from ipod to nav? Can i play my ipod while the nav is on?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Have no idea if any one is following this post but I thought I would add some stuff. I got the mod and it shoiuyld work, problem is my Nav does not work any more since I installed my New AVIC-8200nex

Any ideads out there?

I am striuckly lookimg to the the monitor to go up and down and allow me to sheow video on it.. what are the chance that the is a wireing idagram outy the for the Navigation monitor for a 2008 Volvo xc90