Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

S70 front speakers intermitent

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 front speakers intermitent

Greetings,
I have a 98 S70 with stock stereo, AM/FM Cassette (no CD), and 6 speakers. For the last month the front door speakers have been intermitantly turning off. Sometimes both will turn off at the same time, sometimes only the drivers side, and sometimes only the passenger side. I think that sometimes the intermitent behaviour is caused by driving over bumps, but I might be imagining things. I took out the head and it looked like the wires were pretty well attached. I also took off the passenger side door panel to check the wires, and they seemed to be well attached, although i don't really know what I'm doing. The intermitent behaviour will often occur while the stereo is on and change every 5 minutes or so (i.e. front speakers on for 5 minutes, one speaker turns off for 5 minutes, etc). Rear speakers are fine, and dash speaker are fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: S70 front speakers intermitent

Stock decks wear out and the speakers are usually the first thing to go. Sounds like you need a Head Unit.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: cbevis

Stock decks wear out and the speakers are usually the first thing to go. Sounds like you need a Head Unit.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:58 AM

ORIGINAL: cbevis

For my needs the stock system sounds great. How would you recommend that I fix this problem and get the stereo sounding like it used to? Should I buy a used volvo head unit like mine? I guess I'd be afraid that I was buying a used head unit from an unscrupulous person with the same problem as I'm having.
Would a new Volvo, or aftermarket head unit be better?
Should the speakers last for a while, or should I think about replacing them too?
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 AM

I wouldn't go the route of a used unit unless you have the opportunity to install it in the car and test it out first. Not only do the speaker channels go out the power/volume **** goes bad as well and makes an irritateing scratching noise whenever you touch it. Also, sometimes when the speaker channels are going bad the problem won't manifest itself till the stereo has been on for a while so a quick plug and sample of the head unit may not expose the problem.
You could always go to best buy or somewhere and pic up a deck and install kit that will sound just as good for a couple hundred dolllars and not have to worry about these problems.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 PM

You could always go to best buy or somewhere and pic up a deck and install kit that will sound just as good for a couple hundred dolllars and not have to worry about these problems.
word.....buying a new volvo radio would work just as well too...it really depends on what you want astetically