Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Anyone using Volvo's onboard nav system in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Volvo's onboard nav system in Toronto?

I just got a '15 XC60 T6 in the Platinum trim (which includes navigation) but was bewildered that the nav could not find several major streets. Then I discovered that the nav system's database regarded "Toronto" as the "old" city of Toronto prior to the 1998 amalgamation. In order to find streets in the former boroughs (Scarborough, North York, East York, Etobicoke, etc.) the user must enter the name of the borough in the "city" field. Given that these boroughs ceased to exist as legal entities sixteen years I expect that some newcomers (and most visitors) would have never heard of them.

This makes absolutely no sense and renders the nav system virtually useless to anyone in Canada's largest city.

Am I missing something?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
DHK

Hi, I'm from the US, and used the Nav system in Toronto in May with no problem that i remember... only used it to get to a hotel on Richmond St. East, if that helps you at all. The rest of the time we walked!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by DHK
Hi, I'm from the US, and used the Nav system in Toronto in May with no problem that i remember... only used it to get to a hotel on Richmond St. East, if that helps you at all. The rest of the time we walked!
Thanks for that.

Yes, Richmond Street is in the "old" Toronto.

But I wonder if your navigation system can find city streets such as "Mortimer" or "Milner".

Old 07-13-2014, 04:39 PM
DHK

No joy. I just installed the 2014 Nav updates last weekend (the subject of another thread: they say you have to keep the car running for 5 hours. I went on a 4+ hour road trip so gave it a go, and it did take 4:50. There are 3 dual layer DVDs. I've heard that if you stop in the middle it will pick up again, but didn't want to try it.)

Anyway, it couldn't find Mortimer or Milner street in Toronto.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DHK
Anyway, it couldn't find Mortimer or Milner street in Toronto.
Are you able to input a cross-street in the "junction" field of your nav system?

On mine it is grayed out / disabled. It does not matter whether I am looking for a junction in Canada or the USA.