Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here.

CHIP REPROGRAMMING

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CHIP REPROGRAMMING

Actually I had to take it in last week after I hit a bump and something broke. The Flex pipe had come apart. There are many grivences I have about this:

1. Stainless steel exhaust should last longer than 5 years (120 000 kms) just past warrenty
2. Exhaust pipe is pinched oval and dia is reduced to maybe 1.5 in both ends of flex pipe.
3. Volvo tells me I need new exhaust from down pipe to end of first resonator. approx 1000 CAD plus install.
4. Not one light came on to indicate any problems? Maybe my chip reprogramming.

I did not want to buy another stock exhaust and sure dont have money for an upgrade.

Went to Mufflerman and had guy cut out the pinched oval sections of the pipe and round them. This increased dia to approx 2" and welded in a larger flex pipe.

Total cost 250 CAD.

Personally for the money, this was a great modification. I know you should not hack and slash your Volvo, they deserve a bit more respect but if you can make an improvement then why not.

My biggest thing was the fact that they did this in the first place. As far as I can tell this would be the hottest point for the system and you create a restriction right at this point (why). I would assume that if I was not running 16 psi through the turbo this may not have been an issue for a year or so.

I also think I might have gain 1 or 2 hp out of the deal, not great on your cost per horse.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There are mixed reviews with Upsolute. I went with SpeedTuning USA, and I am very happy with the upgrade. If you haven't done this yet, take a look at them and or RICA.

I also know others who are happy with their Upsolute upgrade.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Oops didn't read the whole thread. I am glad your happy with Upsolute.

As for gauges go with Autometer gauges, they are great.

Boost gauge, Oil Pressure and something else. Air/Fuel is good if you can have it done right and read right. I would go for a Volt gauge.