Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the forums here.

Possible rodent damage?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible rodent damage?

2000 v40 signs of mice nesting then random accelerations, fan running random and now not starting. Dont see any obvious wiring damage but not real sure where to look, manual throttle cable works fine. Any input?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rodents like to chew on electrical wires and components. They also will enter any opening on a car's engine, trans and exhaust that they can find. I was at my indy's repair shop about a year ago, and they showed me a Mercedes wagon that had been stored in a barn for the winter. In the spring, it would not start. Towed to the shop, and under the back seat cushion was a huge mice nest packed around all the fancy electrical components that Mercedes puts there and that had been destroyed by the mice. The shop was estimating repairs in the thousands of dollars.

If it were me, I would get your car towed to your repair shop and let them carefully go through the car looking for where the critters have set up home and any damage they may have done.

By the way, I store my convertible in my barn during the winter. To repel the rodents, I use something called Fresh Cab. It consists of small packets of repellent that smell sweet to humans, but that rodents can't stand. It is a natural repellant, not a poison. Rodents won't go near it or set up home anywhere close to it. It comes in handy packets that you can put anywhere in the car you want. I put three in the engine compartment, two in the passenger compartment, and two in the trunk. I buy it at a local farm supply store, but you can also order it from Amazon. Just remember to write yourself a note and leave it on the driver's seat so you can remember to take the packets out of the engine compartment before you start the car.

Good luck with solving your problem.