General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Are all Volvo salespeople lazy, ignorant and disrespectful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all Volvo salespeople lazy, ignorant and disrespectful?

I had my S60 in the shop at Powell Volvo in Scottsdale and it was going to last a little while, so I decided to walk around and look at the cars to look at the newer models, and I wanted to ask a few questions.

On the week end, I wear old jeans, old shirts and old jeans, I don't shave and my hair is a mess. During the week, I am professional and well groomed.

I make a good living. I can afford a new Volvo if I want, cash on hand, which is more obvious on a week day. But even if I can afford a new Volvo, I'm happy with my 2002 S60 2.4T and intend to keep it at least one year or two.

But is it because I looked like a troll that no sales guy would even walk to me and ask me if I was looking for something?

I had to go get one of these guys and when I asked him questions, he was in a hurry to be done with me, looking away. Did not shake my hand, did not say hello, did not say goodbye.

I decided to be a pest and ask very technical questions.

What's the difference between the T5 and the 2.5T? Answer: horsepower. Ok. Is the engine different? What's the displacement of both? Is the bore and stroke different? What is the bore exactly? What type of turbo is there? So is the S60 R coming back? What's with the 2010? Are they really going to have consoles made out of glass? What type of technological improvements are coming?

The guy had no idea, could not answer any single one of these questions, besides "the T5 has more horsepower".

Not once, I mean not once did he ask me if I was looking to buy something.

What is wrong with these guys? I wandered to the Hyundai dealership next door, and a sales guy jumped on me. I kept walking and I entered a Cadillac dealership. A guy on a golf cart showed up and ask me if I needed anything.

Is it because Volvo buyers are usually dressed like corporate lawyers or look like rich retired boomers who know what they want that the sales guys did not care about talking to me?

Or is this attitude traditional among Volvo sales guys?

The service department, it's a different deal, these guys know their cars and know their job.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned
Default RE: Are all Volvo salespeople lazy, ignorant and disrespectful?

If all goes as planned we'll have just one huge multi-national car company. So if you don't like it too bad, you have no choice in the matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll feign competition somehow, just like Democans and Republicrats feign a democratic election process. [:-]

Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 PM
JP

I've had my car for service at Tulsa Volvo twice now. The service department is truly excellent, and really goes the extra mile in trying to make sure I leave happy. Even cleaned the brake dust out of each spoke on my wheels. Anyway, each time I went to look at the new models and only once did a salesperson approach me. He just asked if I needed anything, I said no, and he said thanks for looking. So maybe they're nice but don't hound people, so I won't judge them.

Then again, I'm only 18 years old. And what 18 year old could afford a new Volvo? This one can't anyway, haha.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you hit a noob.
Being only 19, I walked into plenty of showrooms, some veryhigh-end ones too,tosee what is out there, and I have had great"talks"with the sales guys.Except for this one JacKASS at a Mercades dealership. He approched me and asked if I had any question...I dont remember what was said, but the guy just turned. He started to complain to me how I shouldnt waste the dealers time if I am not going to buy. I laughed at him and Ijust walked to my car. My favorite time was at a Lotus dealship, and thisolder gentlemencame up to me. We talked for a good 30mins about the cars and had some laughs. I was pretty close to getting a test drive, but I had to get home, so Igot the dudes info and went back home.

To answer your question Nick: The turbos are different. and I think the compression is also lower. The bore might be slightly different. All this info is in the owners manual (if you have one, but if you dont, you can get one online).

Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 AM

While I was looking at cars for my parents, I went to my Volvo dealer, and I had to walk in sales person's direction to get his attention because there wasn't a receptionest at the door I went into. Usually they have a receptionist at the front door to direct you where to go because there are 2 other dealerships in the same building and it is very easy to get lost. Plus the sales people sit in the back of the showroom, so they really cannot see if someone comes in unless the customer walks in that direction. Which is nice because I really don't like Vultures (i.e. 5 sales people asking if I was OK or if I need any help etc...). With my experience, I had a semi noob but he did know his stuff. I asked him obscure questions and he knew what I was talking about especilly when it came to the stationwagons (estates) and the T5 Engines. He only had to ask someone else when I got to the ETM warranty and stuff about S80s, but the guy he asked was very helpful as well.

I am like you AzNick when it comes to work attire and casual attire. There is a dramatic differance! At work I ware a nice shirt and pants, maybe a skirt, but that is pushing it for me. I don't really like them unless it is for a formal occation. LOL When I am at home, out with my BF, or other friends I wear Goth clothes. I am pretty tame compaired to other people when it comes to "Gothing Out" and I rearely buy Hot Topic or Torid stuff, because I make my own, but anyway its really comfortable.

That day, I was in casual mode and they treated me the same as when I would go in there in work attire. LOL Well they kinda know me by now LOL but they have always given me excellent service, including free drinks, snacks, and HD Cable (AT&T Universe)! I never went to a dealership that did that until I got my Volvo. They even have an indoor playground so that the kids would not get bored while the car was getting worked on. LOL

As to your situation AzNick, maybe the guy was having a bad day or something but that still does not give him the right to treat you poorly, and if he did not know something he should have asked someone, instead of blowing you off. Plus if you were there before closing at the end of the month and the guy did not meet his quota, oh man it is hell in there. I know, my Dad use to sell Chevys... It gets UGLY. But still he should have not treated you like that.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM

I'd be willing to bet that the salesman didn't know any of the answers to your questions, that, besides theattitude. You may be an ethusiast but chances are he's not. I never look for answers from car salespeople; to them it'sabout the $, not the product. You may love Volvos but few Volvos salesmen do. Sure, it my help sell more Volvos to people like you who care but in the end the product knowledge is secondary to sales BS.
Curiously, here in Germany, no salesman will ever approach you while you are looking at carson a lot-you have to make an appointment, regardless of how you are dressed...

Old 12-26-2008, 12:04 PM

i had an experience where in january I went to look for a new car at a delearship. i met this guy David, who shoed us away, when he heard we werent ready to buy, more in rude manner. the other thing was i wanted to sell my s40 to a private party, rather than trade it in. He doesnt even give me his business card, well I left after that. He took all our information down, and was suppose to call us if he got some cars in.

I come back in June and this time I'm ready to buy. I met this guy ken who was a lot nicer and mro easy to work with. After about 30 minutes+ working with us, David with another group of people sees us, I try not to make eye contact rofl, but he strays away from those people and he comes up to us, and says "HEY YOUR BACK", lol im like great!.

He starts showing us cars, in the process I ask, What happened to ken, he's like oh dont worry about him I'll take care of him. Then I say to him bluntly, I'd rather have the other salesperson, his response was What do I have bad breadth? Do you not like me? I need to put food on my table to you know? Of course I said no to these things and he was getting mad. So I told him there was this s60 in the back, is it available? he went to go check it out....

In the mean time I ran inside back to the first dude and told him, and he came back and helped us. I guess the other person David finally backed off. But he didnt stop there, when we made the deal on the s80 t6 2001. He calls my house and says (david) there is something wrong with your finiancial papers we cant approve the loan...lol at that point my cosigner (mom, who as excellent credit) was mad, we went down their and straight went to the manager, we told him the whole story.

He then took another 1500$ off the price of our car and told us David would not bother us again. he also told us we were all approved for the loan. That was a funny experience though, lol may not have been fun for my mom.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

You want, lazy, ignorant and disrespectful? Go to an Audi Dealer! Tom [:'(]

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 PM

I have bought any number of high-end European cars over the past several decades and visited a lot of dealerships. Each dealership has its own unique style and flavor, which is set by the owner, general manager, and sales managers. They hire and train the sales persons to do business the way they want it to be done. Volvo dealerships are no exception. Some are stuffy and won't pay any attention to a sales prospect; you practically have to beg them to sell you a car. Others are predatory and will jump you the minute you set foot onto the parking lot. I had to visit a good number of Volvo dealerships before I found one with which I was comfortable doing business. I prefer low pressure, well-informed, honest, and respectful sales people. Interestingly enough, that dealership also offered the most competive pricing from the get-go with no hassles or arguments. I have bought two Volvos from them and will be back for more, even though they are 75 miles from my home. If you don't like a dealership, walk out the door.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why in the world would anybody be dumb enough to judge people by how they are dressed? Jeans and a T-shirt...comfy, and its all I will ever wear.

I should get in a race suit and walk into a dealer and see what would happen.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM

You would be surprised! Most salespeople are commision. Normally they get an advancement at the beginning of the month and then whatever they make at the end of the month, that advancement gets taken away, so that's why they have som much pressure in selling. The few places that make their salespeople salary usually have a no pressure atmosphere. Back to the t-shirt and jeans comment. Belive it or not, wether you have money or not, the minute you set foot at a dealer, you are already being categorized. Most guys under 25 that come in sloppy usually get no attention from salespeople as they are probably categorized as a " can't afford that". If you come in dressed nicely then the salesperson assumes your parents or you have some money. Couples over 21 and even with a kid get tons of attention as they are probably looking to upgrade the family hauler. Couples under 21 might not get attention as they probably will need "mom or dad for a cosign" OR the dreaded "Stroke" meaning " they are ther stroking time away and have nothing better to do. Males over 25-55 dressed nicely will usually command some attention as they look like they can afford something. So there are tons of stereotypes. My favorite one I can remember was the guy when I worked for a Honda store and the guy pulled up in a ratty old 90 Civic Hatchback and had no paint! He walked out in Birkenstocks, jeans, t-shirt and a baseball hat. He was looking for a highend Accord. Never really said a whole lot. After walking the lot for 45 minutes I had approached him since he had made his way into our business office looking for a bathroom and was irate that no one would approach. Long story short, he came in looking for a new car for his son. None of the salespeople approached him because he looked like he could barely afford to drive his P.O.S old civic.. He put a 100 dollar deposit on our showroom Accord that was 30k. he drove in the next day with his son in a Ferrari f355 and had a cashiers check for the Accord! He drove the civic because he was affraid to get his Ferrari and a few other cars in his collection hit in the parking lot and at other places! Holy crap were we all wrong..... It is wrong as you say TIPS about judging somoene because their clothes,etc... but the truth is that sales people are out to make their money and of course to cover that advancement they got so they usually wil discriminate towards people whom pull in to their lots. The worst ones are the some of the high end dealers, i.e. Lexus, Mercedes,etc..... If you pull in with a POS,or look frumpy forget it.. they def. will not pay attention to you since you look like you are there to waste their time....

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM

YES!!THANK YOU--They are all lazy ungrateful frogs--well-not all--but go to a few Chicago dealers and check them out--bad business--thanks