General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Bosch or Puralator oil filters dont use them

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch or Puralator oil filters dont use them

I had one of these come apart on me in 1500 miles Bosch that is but puralator makes their filters in China the glue on my filter seperated and list a engine because of it only using k&n or Volvo filters from now on and you should too. My filter looks like the oil desolved the glue that holds the top and bottom to the filter element. Has anyone else had this happen my car only had 94k and has been very well maintained by me.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently have a Purolator classic in my V40. No problems.
I compared it to the old filter (type unknown) that I had removed and noted on that, the top and bottom rings were merely cardboard and looked very soggy and deteriorated.
The Purolator was of far superior manuf' so when it comes out it will be interesting to note its condition.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 PM

I only use Mann filters. Found out the hard way those Chinese filters are crap. Tried the Advance Auto "Driveworks" brand (made in China) and after about 500 miles, my oil light came on. Pulled the filter and it had collapsed! Bought the Mann filter & no issues. Don't know about K&N, Purolator, Wix, etc and not taking the chance.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:56 PM

A surprising find whilst browsing re Mann filters.

Mann+Hummel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears that many of the filters sold in US by Mann + Hummel and elsewhere world wide are manufactured in China. Including Purolator. Bosch
Mann + hummel have acquired or otherwise merged with many manuf all over Europe and Asia during their history.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Well I had changed my oil before going on a road trip I usually use k&n or Volvo with enos 0-50 but they didn't have it in stock and I already had 3k miles on my oil so I changed it with the oil deal from AutoZone and valvoline 5-30. So I drive from Tennessee to Minnesota but the last 500 miles or so the car seems to not have the same power but I'm super tired so I don't really look into it a oil light never came on and I get to my friends. Next morning I drive the car and it feels like a civic so I'm like Wtf I go and get some oil and a filter the Napa here had the correct oil and filter I usually use when I pull the filter housing off there is the top piece stuck to the pan the filter is sideways in the housing and the bottom piece is stuck on the housing and my oil looks like it's 100% copper so I contacted Bosch and should be hearing back in the verdict tomarrow after waiting 30 days.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM

I hate China because even the old good **** is now made there it is lame

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM

The Purolator I fitted has the top and bottom ring made from some sort of plastic or resin rigid material which is hopefully heat and oil resistant.
It seemed to me ,far better than using some sort of cardboard.
Have seen many cheap brand filters with the cardboard top/bottom retaining rings.

I opted to try the Purolator having noted that many forum members who were prepared to use other than Mann had tried and reported favourably.

You certainly have experienced a horrific failure based on your description above.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Forgot to mention the other good filter is Mahle (made in Austria)
The Mann filter I have says made in Spain.

Originally Posted by Dons Sportcar
I hate China because even the old good **** is now made there it is lame
The Chinese are good for something tho, making a VIDA/DICE clone cheap!