General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

How good is Lane Keeping Aid

Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is Lane Keeping Aid

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an S60. I'm having trouble deciding between the FWD with Lane Keeping Aid and the AWD with Lane Keeping Warning.

I really want both, Lane Keeping Aid and AWD, but no such luck.

I have searched all over the internet and on this forum, and found very little about Lane Keeping Aid effectiveness. There are some videos/demo by Volvo, mostly promotional type. No real critical reviews of the technology.

How good is it, really? Does it require freshly painted road lines? How well does it work in the rain? Fog? Night? Are there any shortcomings or problems?

The punk-ish kid at the Nissan/Volvo dealer barely knows how to tie his shoes, and certainly has no experience with the cars. He didn't even know the new 2015 T5 and T6 were actually no longer 5/6cyl respectively. His take on Lane Keeping Aid was "sorry, but it doesn't seem to work very well around here". Considering none of his inventory has the feature, I'm not surprised at this comment.

I did not post in the S60 sub-group, since I assume that Lane Keeping Aid is the same technology across all the Volvo models. Responses need not be exclusively from S60 owners.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally its up to you.I mean if you want the AWD go with that one. Do you really need to have the car go back into the lane for you, I'm thinking no. Go with the warning pretty good and get the AWD with it.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Thanks damien,

I think my decision needs to include data about how well the technology works, as well as how much I value the features. Do you have Lane Keeping Aid? If so, how well does it work?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

How often do you find yourself driving distracted or asleep at the wheel?

I have tested it and it works. But obviously there are limitations and you really should rely on it.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Thanks damien and ES6T for trying. I can handle the introspective analysis of my driving habits and skills (or lack thereof), and how often I may want or need AWD or Lane Keeping Aid.

There are many factors in the analysis, including: my driving skills and habits, frequency of inclement weather, length and type of my daily commute, fuel consumption, and effectiveness of the feature.

I am only asking for additional information about the effectiveness of the Lane Keeping Aid feature. How well does it work? Are there times when it makes mistakes? Does precipitation hinder it's performance? How far out of the lane before it acts? Does it let you exit the lane before correcting, or does it stop you from exiting the lane? How much correction is added?

Please, tell me about the driving experience.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It uses a camera, so it is subject to the same things that would effect your eyes when driving. Not as effective in the dark, fog or rain. If it can't see the lane markings, it won't work.

There is no published distance out of the lane before it works. It sees the lines and knows the steering wheel position based on the steering angle sensor. If it calculates that you will drift out of the lane and you are not using a turn signal, it kicks in (either with a warning for LDW or slight torque or vibration of the steering wheel for LKA).

This is not something I would go out and seek as a feature in the car, personally. If the car had other features I wanted and happened to have this, great. If not, no big deal.