General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Keep Your Eyes Open For ......

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep Your Eyes Open For ......

Well all three of my kids got married within the last year and two of them are already expecting children. My son, who has been on this board occasionally, is looking for a 98 V70 R. They were going to buy a Honda Element until they talked to me and I said this would be alot more car for less than half of what they were going to spend. My son can fix most anything that goes wrong with a car so he is the type to own an older quality vehicle. If I didn't think he would read this I would probably say he is better than me at fixing cars.

Anyway give me some opinions on the V70 R and let us know if there is anyting to look out for or a reason to totally stay away from them. His wife is convinced that with a child on the way, they must have AWD. I live in the exact same area and have never been stuck with my FWD drive Volvo's, but I do like the V70 R.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Keep Your Eyes Open For ......

Found one in Nashville, TN. Anybody know of an Independent Volvo Shop there where we can have a pre-purchase inspection? The guy is selling it because he has been having problems with it and he is used to Japanese cars, but thinks he has everything fixed.

Here is what he had to say:

Since I bought it at 72.8k, I have done the following expected repairs:
-new airpump
-reworked ABS module
-new spring seats
I have also done these repairs:
-new DS cv-boot
-new torque arm engine bushing
-new motor mount.
The timing belt tensioner went two weeks ago, so the car has just had a complete valve job; a new
timing belt and tensioner; new plugs; and a new water pump. I also replaced the AWD transaxle u-
joint, as the boot was starting to leak. All of this work was also done by the dealership. They literally
looked inside the engine and said it looks very good.

What do you think?

Tech, this is for my son. The one that helped you with the signature. He's finally coming around, but still keeping the BMW and getting rid of the Civic.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Keep Your Eyes Open For ......

Sounds pretty good. If it isn't to expensive tell him to go for it.