General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

KEEP AN OPEN MIND ON THIS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEEP AN OPEN MIND ON THIS

I own both the following: 2002 Volvo XC70 and a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0H6 LLBean Edition.

Of the two vehicles, and understand that those reading this post own Volvo's, which one of these vehicles would YOU install four true and dedicated winter tires?

I am a firm believer in winter tires but can't afford tires for both cars. Subies have a great AWD reputation and my Volvo is new to me this season. So what would you all recommend? Thanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: KEEP AN OPEN MIND ON THIS

Having an AWD Volvo myself I can say that mine does nicely in the Winter with the ALL-Seasons I have put on. Which were Pirelli P6's Four Seasons. Right now I am running Yokohama All-Seasons and am hoping they do the same if not better job that the Pirelli's did.

Now my dad has an 03 XC70 and I believe it has some kind of Pirelli All-Season on it as well. It was a tank in the snow. It went through the snow and huge ice around here.

I have never owned a Subaru before but I hear their AWD is very very good.

So to me it is hard to say which I would go for.

But I thought I would comment on the AWD and All-Seasons experience I have with Volvo's.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Having an AWD Volvo myself I can say that mine does nicely in the Winter with the ALL-Seasons I have put on. Which were Pirelli P6's Four Seasons. Right now I am running Yokohama All-Seasons and am hoping they do the same if not better job that the Pirelli's did.

Now my dad has an 03 XC70 and I believe it has some kind of Pirelli All-Season on it as well. It was a tank in the snow. It went through the snow and huge ice around here.

I have never owned a Subaru before but I hear their AWD is very very good.

So to me it is hard to say which I would go for.

But I thought I would comment on the AWD and All-Seasons experience I have with Volvo's.
O.K. sure, understand. I was just thinking if I were going to equip just one of my AWD cars, which one would be the best. Thanks agian.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Again that is hard for me to say fairly. Never owned never road in a Subaru before.

I'll say the Volvo, but that is biased really.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM

These cars are both great winter cars where traction is concerned. If the XC70 is running well, I'd choose it,on the assumptionthat you'll be spending more time in whichever car has the better tires and you might as well be in the safer and more comfortable of the two.

Best regards,
Alan
http://autobahnvolvo.blogspot.com

Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 AM

I believe the xc70 is only AWD when you are at speeds of 40mph and less. Above 40 some clutches engage, and it's FWD to save fuel while at cruising speeds. Subarau's have some of the best awd around, and it's active whether you're traveling at 25mph or 75mph. So, if traction while at speed is of concern I would put the tires on the volvo. Subaru's seem to handle just fine in just about all conditions with all seasons.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM

I would go with the Subaru also...I had an AWD Legacy AWD, and all I can say is AWESOME, AWESOME,AWESOME AWD! But I also love my 850...for the record!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Somthngfrce

I would go with the Subaru also...I had an AWD Legacy AWD, and all I can say is AWESOME, AWESOME,AWESOME AWD! But I also love my 850...for the record!
And so I have. The Subie seemed to be the best logical choice as a true winter vehicle, so I spent the money on a set of Bridgestone WS-60's. Awesome tire. Just got them last week from the TireRack and the tread design is simply awesome. I think once these are mounted up on the Subie, it will be a force to be reckoned with on wintry roadsusing good common sense of course. I think my XC70 will do fine for local driving as my work place is only two miles from home. So I believe I made the best choice from driving long distance on bad roads with my Subaru.