General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

My New Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Project

Well I picked up a new ride. The car is a 1980 Volvo 264 Diesel. It has 73,511 original miles. This car has sat in the field for at least 12 years, but they think longer. I figure fluid changes (including fuel) new tires and clean it up!

HOW CAN I ADD PICS?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My New Project

If that's all you have to do, it will be a miracle.
Please don't read on:
Anything rubber, like all your hoses and seals, are crystalized and won't last long. Your engine will look like a colorful fountain, if it starts. (Green coolant, red transmission fluid, brake fluid)
I want to watch !
It most likely won't roll,(seized bearings, rusted brakes)your brakes will need complete replacement, the brake lines are dangerous due to rust.
Stop reading, it will only depress you.
The firstbumps should blow your shocks( if they aren't frozen solid)
All your suspension parts are dry and some will be locked up.
Steering box seals-crusty. A-frame bushings-hard and cracked.
What's in your wallet?
The carb has a lot of small seals,none of which will hold gas. Most passages will berestricted with varnish. (Kind of like clogged arteries) And all those needle valves and pivoting parts are on strike.
Did I mention that there is a good chance the piston rings are rusted to the cylider walls? That could be a bummer.
I don't mean to cause you any grief, but it is going to take you about 197 full days to completely disassemble, clean, replace,paint,rebuild,restore and then put back together this car. But you have the time,so;
The interior has been inhabited by many mice, oh, and they found that the air cleaner made a nice home also.
How are the window seals?
I don't suppose any mold spores landed on every f*rkin' surface inside during the 1856damp spells that the car has been sitting, like a natural sauna. Grown in buy waste deep flora restricting those drying breezes? Petri dish ! I'd love to go for a ride in this toxic tin.
I hope your not having second thoughts? Because thisfine specimenwill be well worth the bloody knuckles, equity loan and long days.
The speakers must sound like soup cans on a string, if the radio works.
The heater motor is rusted.
Did I leave anything out?
Floor boards- Fred Flintstone.
Chrome-nice reflection.
Wiper motor-use a squeegy for now.
Wiring-No shorts?
Connectors and connections-Open
You need a battery.
I take it you are still reading, lifters,valves,cam,springs all rusted bad.
Starter,alternator..............................
So, How is the clean up going.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so cruel. I was just spelling out the reality. Now if it was a 1953 Corvette.......................

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My New Project

LMAO Eric

the "Add Pic" tool is the yellow button with the mountains in the upper right of the compose window. Please: add them soon! I'm sure we all want to see this beast!

Good Luck,

Rick