General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Need to by Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to by Extended Warranty

Hello All:

Can some one guide me to buy extended warranty. I am considering buying a used volvo xc90 from an individual seller. I would like to purchase extended warranty from Volvo, but the quotes I have gotten seem too high. I have been quoted over 3K for 3 years/60K miles. What is reasonable?

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Default RE: Need to by Extended Warranty

Any guidance on purchasing extended warranty from Volov will be appreciated.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Linus,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it helpful & enjoyable.

As to extended warranty, please note that it is a way for some companies, including the dealers, to make money. I personally feel that they are worthless for 80% of the time.

If you still would want to buy one as a peace-of-mind, however, I would first check the recalls on the Volvo (XC90) you plan to purchase, and look for a warranty package that covers items other than those related to recalls. Recall items must be repaired by the dealer at no charge to the customers. So, see if you can find possible recalls at:

https://volvoforums.com/m_66630/tm.htm

It seems that XC90s seem to have problems with engine & transmission; the transmission built by GM seems to have poor reputation, but I don't know which model has what transmission or engine. Do a bit of search in the XC90 forum, and if you couldn't find a thread where people discuss those issues, then post a question.

I wish you luck finding an XC90 that is in good shape.

JPN

EDIT: If you do decide to buy an extended warranty, be sure to get it from a reputable, major insurance company. There was a report recently where this gentleman had difficulty getting the company pay his warranty, which the company refused. Be sure to read the fine prints and prepare a list of questions you have before actually paying.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be ridiculous to spend $3,000 on a three year waranty. You are looking for opinions and that's mine. If you have an extra $3,000 laying around put it towards buying a better car. That's a lot of money and one of the biggest profit makers for the dealers and insurance companies. I never buy extended warranties for anything period. In the long run I have to be money ahead.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree extended warranty's are worthless and the biggest money maker of all for any company. DO NOT DO IT.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM

I got an extended warranty, and Im already ahead by far, i paid 2 years for 3150$, And Im well ahead, with about 1 year and 6 months to go... ITs gotten so bad that they send an inspector down to inpspect the repair on my car..(for an 01 s80 t6)... Whats nice is that it also includes road side assistance, towing etc.

I think they are worth it because, it is A LOT Easier to sell your car and say to someone that they dont have to worry b/c its under warranty for so and so time.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the general consensus here. Most purchased warranties are a mistake. Once in a while someone (gordon368) benefits from one, but that is the exception rather than the rule. $3K is quite a bit of coin. I say put it into savings or put it towards a slightly newer xc90. Some advice: If you decide to go with a warranty, be damn sure its water-tight. Ask questions about the particulars - whats covered, etc. Some warranties have deductables (booo!). Check recalls, consumer reports, the forum and see if it would be worth it.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 AM

They're right. Extended warranty is just a BIG waste of money. You're not even sure if you could use it. Just check the recalls dude. Remember $3,000 is a very huge amount to spend per year.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 AM

Extended warranties are not always a bad thing. You need to research what to look for and then find a company that offers good coverage and good reviews... read the research articles at warrantiesgonewild.com.

They basically outline what is good/bad for aftermarket warranties..

at 3000$ for 3 years, thats a bad deal. You are better off saving your money....

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM

I have purchased used 2001 car with remaining extended warranty (still had 5 months left). This allowed me to do all the repairs pretty much free of charge (small copay) at the dealer. I think the cost of the warranty for the original owner was something like $1400 and it was well worth it. Especially for the cars that have a lot of electronics. The history of my car shows three repairs for the electric seat motor and I had to replace blower motor and entry keypad on the door plus some other minor things that I just did because I had the warranty.

So the extended warranty is not always a bad thing.