General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Oil seals failed right AFTER service.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil seals failed right AFTER service.

Hi All,
I had my 240 serviced last Wednesday at the normal Volvo garage, been going there for the past 10 years or so. No problems. Until now...
Took the car in for a service and had the water pump seal done as it was leaking coolant, so they had to take part of the motor off (maybe motor head?) to do the job. Took the car home, drove it the next day, Thursday, my wife noticed the oil warning light come on but thought "it's just been serviced, can't be a problem!" Friday, we noticed that there was oil on the driveway underneath and when I lifted the bonnet.... oil sprayed everywhere around the front of the engine, all around the fan belts, rocker cover, no oil left in the sump. Some photos attached.
The admin person at the garage said they'd get on to it and replace the seals etc. but seems not to be considering that when the head came off to do the water pump seal, the other seals were not properly put in place. He talked like about how about the seal/s must have 'popped'...

I'm going to attach pictures so you can get an idea of the oil spatter around the front of the engine.
* There was no problem whatsoever with oil leaking or oil loss before the service.
* They did not detect any oil leaks or oil seal problems in the inspection during the service.
* I cant help feeling the the mechanic may not be on top of his game also as the mechanic who did the work also happens to have a very strong temor (may not be related to be fair) in his hands.

I have never not paid a mechanics bill in my life but if they want to charge me for this one, it does not seem right.

What do you guys think & are there any mechanics in the forum with an opinion.