General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

recommendations for cartridge, remote trans filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations for cartridge, remote trans filter

I see on "JEGS" website they have a remote auto transmission filter kit for around $50, made by DERALE. The replacement filter cartridge is listed at $19.95. It looks like a standard oil filter. I have the exact same remote filter mounting heads in the bottom of my tool box, left over from an old hot rod project, been there for years. As I remember, it uses a Motorcraft FL1A or similar filter for oil. Anybody know what's the difference between a $19.95 filter for transmission vs a standard oil filter that you can get for 4 or 5 bucks? I can't think of any significant difference between the two except possibly; maybe filtration media?, (might affect flow rate, particle size, etc), bypass valve?, (both SHOULD have one for when filter is full), burst pressure?, (what is trans pressure at lines to/from cooler anyway?), and similar questions, but it sure seems to me that the only difference is about $15.
Anybody out there have any experience with these remote filters used for auto transmissions? Any drag racers, maybe? The recent postings for trans solenoids, etc in V70XC forum have been GREAT!
I have recently bought a very nice 90k mile 2000 V70XC with a 4 speed auto trans that runs OK until after 15 minutes or so, it loses all drive. Park it for a couple of hours and it will go again for 10 or 15 minutes. Fluid is brown and stinky, so a flush is first step. Remote filter would be great addition. Car was an absolute STEAL at $800!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:30 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only difference is marketing. They can't make any money off the one you already have.
A spin-on is a good choice precisely for the reason that the filter is available with a bypass valve.
Since you have no filter now, any filter would be good... except for one that doesn't have a bypass. The spin-on can handle the little pressure of the fluid going to the cooler.
Now, it's all a matter of space and placement.
A flush and fill is in order, at 90,000mi, you should still have a few miles left to go.
Ed

Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks for reply Ed. I emailed WIX filter company as a number of aftermarket remote trans filter kits include a WIX filter. Their reply only says "the filter medium is the difference-paper." Doesn't say WHICH is paper, or what kind of paper, etc, so I think you are right on the money- there is no difference. One thing I have found is that specs for most oil filters say they filter down to 20 microns. Harley-Davidson spin on filter for Twin Cam models filters down to 10 microns. I have no idea of the size of particles in auto trans sludge, but logic would say that a finer filter is better, right? I use these filters, (plain black ones are $6-$10, also available in chrome finish for extra $$$), on my vintage Norton Commando motorcycles and my vintage Triumph in addition to my H-Ds.
I have been shuffling this remote filter mounting head around in my tool box for 15 years, finally found a use for it!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM
ed7

They all use paper as the filter media and finer isn't always better. If the filter catches everything and clogs quickly, the bypass is always open letting the remainder flow unfiltered. My old BMWs have slingers to filter the oil.
Check this for fun: Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
Ed

Last edited by ed7; 01-01-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 PM

I got a phone call from Fram tech line yesterday. Guy was very helpful, but couldn't provide a specific spin on filter for remote auto transmission use. He was very conscious of stating disclaimer about using filter for improper application, etc. I still think an oil filter with bypass will be OK. I've found some online that specify using Fram PH8A for a remote unit for auto trans, despite what Fram says. Cold, sloppy, rainy today, so I'll work on car another day. Advance auto parts sent discount coupons in mail and Dexron III is $16.95 gal. Three gallons for flush, a $4 filter, a couple of hose clamps, and 2 threaded couplings and nipples with a $10 off coupon may do the trick-fingers crossed!!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM

WOW!! Thanks, Ed7 for links to oil filter info. I learned more about oil filters, (something I just took for granted), in 15 minutes than I've learned in 40 years. Great link!! Everybody should look these links over. In just about every category, the PureOne filter is the best. Auto parts stores are closed today, New Years Day, or should be, so no action on remote filter/trans flush today. Weather is wet and crappy and Volvo is outside, so I'll spend some time fluffing and buffing one of my vintage Norton Commando bikes for Jan 6,7,8 bike show. Should be able to do both by weekend.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM

One more thing, by the way. Advance Auto parts lists a remote filter kit for $39!!, for anyone thinking of adding one. Cheap insurance.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM

something more to pass on;
I had a conversation with FRAM Rep. at International Motorcycle show yesterday, (Jan7), about my plan to use a remote filter for auto trans. This guy was very knowledgeable and expressed concern that using a conventional spin on filter designed for engine oil would, indeed, clog fairly quickly and open the bypass, thus allowing the trans ATF to not be filtered. He did suggest using a FRAM "HP" series filter which is intended for racing use. He also said that most all remote filter mounting heads are designed to use Ford or Motorcraft filters like the popular FL1A which is used on 5.0 V8s. He also was very strong in NOT using in-line magnetic filters as they will completely stop the flow if clogged, thus overheating the transmission and causing trans damage/failure. I fully agree, but feel that the magnetic solution is a good one, but I have done this for decades on my cars/bikes/trucks, etc, anything with a spin on filter. Many auto transmissions have a very strong magnet stuck to the pan from the factory. it's about 2" in dia. You can buy these at the local auto parts store or from the dealer. I know there is a Ford part number for them. I take one or two of these and despite the strong magnetism, stick them together with RTV and then stick them to the bottom of the metal oil filter. The RTV stops them from falling off from pot holes, etc. I don't feel they are strong enough to over ride the metal spring for the bypass inside the filter, (if your filter does use a spring, usually cheap filters. Purolator Pure one uses synthetic diaphragm). See the link elsewhere on this site for oil filter discussion.
Start work on V70XC tomorrow, temps still in mid to upper 40s. 2nd week on January in Michigan and still haven't touched a snow shovel!! WooHoo!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
ed7

Surprisingly, little of what is contaminating the transmission fluid is ferrous.
The majority of contamination is fibrous organic material and nonferrous metal from the friction discs.
Ed