General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Standard Labor Cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard Labor Cost

Anyone know where/how Volvo dealership mechanics get their labor estimates?

For every job I've ever paid a mechanic to do, there is a standard labor time associated to that job, and typically that is what the mechanic will charge you for. If it takes longer, they lose, but if they finish under the estimated time, they win, but either way, you pay a fair rate based on the estimated time a competent professional mechanic would take to do that job.

So, according to ALLDATA, one of the most widely used resources for professional labor rates, the labor rate for this particular job is 2.1 hours. The Volvo dealership wants to charge DOUBLE that rate (4.1 hours), and when I asked them where they get their rates, they didn't cite a resource, they just started explaining what all is involved in the job and how hard it's going to be. I thanked them and told them I'd call back.

So, does anyne know? Does Volvo have their own resource for these things? Or is my local dealership just trying to screw me?

~ Frustrated

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say the latter. AllData generally lists labor time as well as warranty labor time which is always less and used solely by dealers. AllData is the most widely used for sure, but still has lots of issues. At our shop, if AllData says 2.1, we will round to 2.5 on lesser done jobs. Often, we actually quote under AD as it's a common job and we know from experience that the labor is way off. You're right, some we win, some we lose. Dealerships unfortunately, the bastion of average techs. Some are great, the majority not so much. They have no intuition, are prone to swapping parts until it is fixed and, since they see only one brand of vehicles, tend to have tunnel vision. We tend to pad our quotes on the high side. Why? It prepares the customer for the worst case scenario. Quite often, we are able to come in under the quote which makes customers happy. Coming in over quote NEVER makes customers happy! All of this is simply my opinion though.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM

A good friend of mine that has been a mechanic for over 20 years said pretty much the same thing you did. I wrote to the service manager at the dealership, and his explanation is that Volvo pays 2.6 hours for the same job under warranty, and that retail is generally 40% higher, which comes in at around 3.6 hours, and then half an hour diagnostic time tacked on. I understand their rationale, but with extra towing fees and paying Volvo for the time to look at it, even if I took it somewhere else I'd still end up paying too much. So, the service manager at the Volvo dealership agreed to match AllData's estimate. I have no idea how long it actually took them, but they charged me for 2.1 hours labor. I was pleasantly surprised, and I walked away happy. Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what SJ44 said!

I've worked at indys and dealers in the past; at the end of the day they charge what the traffic will bear. So being informed (like you were) always helps! Gotta wonder if they're doing their best work when you've knocked them down on price before hand though..?

Bottom line; look around until you find a tech who is fair (price-wise), technically competent, and most important: honest!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:09 AM

Yeah, fighting for a bargain always makes me a little nervous about the possibility they'll compromise on quality out of resentment... but in this case, it's shifter cables, so I think I'm safe. 2 year/unlimited mile warranty as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

volvo has their on own standard of time guild. but that time guild is for warrenties purpose, most of the time not including diagnosis time or seized. personally i never believe in alldata. most of the time it only works on domestic, or older eurpean. not update enough. and believe or not, some aftermarket shop actually charge more then dealership & not getting the job done right. volvo has a standard form of what to do when it comes to diagnosis, cuz @ the end they need to be reponsible for the job & warrenties it. the tech cannot just do whatever they want or charge whatever they want like the outside shop does. if u have question, u can always go to another Volvo auth. dealership for a second opinion.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Easier said than done (go to another Volvo shop). I only know of one within a 150 mile radius. Due to the fact that this is the only staealer for 2 hours in any direction, they do what they want and yes they do THROW parts at cars here. It's a shame. I needed a throttle linkage for my 850 and they could not even find it in their parts system. I really wonder if they even care. I had them check my 2 remotes and they said neither worked. So I walked out and unlocked my car with one. I was trying to see if the other one worked. I guess I'm going to have to try to program it and see what happens. BTW, last I checked their labor rates are $143 per hour.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Have you tried to replace the battery in the remote that doesn't work?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Strangebrewer, 1 hour of diagnostics is included in the service for life program and should always be included FREE of charge. The dealer I frequent, never bats an eye with price matching stuff, doing small stuff at NC and alot of other niceties as well..guess I'm just lucky almost ten year 4 vehicle relationship helps as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM

to be honest that first hour of free diagnosis is not going to get you anywhere. it is some stupid Volvo CEO came up w/that idea. think about it, if a stranger come to your store & ask u for a free diagnosis then walk away & fix it somewhere else, r u going to tell them the detail of what's going on with their car. 2nd, will u do something for free if a stranger come up to u on the street. But of course, if a long time customer ask for a little favour, then why not.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stealer charges $118 an hour. My passenger seat micro switch went bad, seat wouldn't move. Took to dealer, 1 day repair $1,000.00 bill !!! Never again! Remove seat weld a lever to move next time, even if it takes me 3 days of work fabrication & all!! I have replaced many a micro switch in the best jets in the U.S. Marine Corps and none of them cost $1,000.00!!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM

It's like the old story: If you have to ask how much yacht expenses are, don't buy one. If you buy a car that originally sold for $48,000 or more, you shouldn' have to "cheap it" to get repairs. My dealer is generous, accomodating, and reasonable; but the fancier the car is, the more there is to go wrong, and the more expensive it is to fix. Am i off base here or should we accept the $ responsibilities for owning a luxury car?

Last edited by rspi; 01-15-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: 48,000
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM

I don't know, Capwheel, if you're speaking to my issue or something else in this thread, but... if you're speaking to my original post, then yes, you're off base

Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM

shop i'm at labor rate is $65. Dealerships are going to always be higher anywhere you go, because they think (actually most dealerships know) many normal shops are afraid to work on a Volvo for some weird reason, and jack up the labor rates. Job security for me woho! I work at a Volvo specialty shop.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM

there are reasons that dealer charge more. updated equipment & sw so it will not damage your car & do the job right. Second warrenties, w/the new program new volvo gives it 2 yrs on parts & labour anything that were purchased & installed in the dealer. third, free rental or courtesy car (sometimes). eg. if they did a LOF & they left the drain plug loose, then the engine's gone. they will need to repair or pay for another engine. u think if u go to a shop w/a labour rate $65 will do that for u. Ha, they will just tell u "u r SOL haha.."

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM

WE use only OEM parts, we have the SAME exact computers as the dealership, and we personally will pick you up and take you to work if you are local. We also have a 150 point check over after the oil change free of charge to every service.

Dealerships just charge more because they can.

Oh and the parts warranty? It also applys to Volvo Certified shops like ours. :stickstoungeout"

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

I think there is a little misunderstand here. When i mean OEM parts installed in the dealership, the warrenties are covering parts & labour for 2 yrs. eg. if u brought a transmission & installed in the dealer, if the trans. fail within the 2 yrs, u don't have to pay a penny to get it fix. as fas as i know, if a OEM part brought from volvo & installed without a proper work order (even if it was installed by a Expert Volvo tech), it will not be cover for that 2 yrs warrenty. Second, dealer may sometime give a courtesy car (loaner) or rental to customer, not just a shuttle. Third I always give it a free check over the car whenever a car comes into the shop cuz that's money for me too. The only Volvo Certified shop that I know that can authorize to give out warrenties other than volvo dealer 's are the Volvo authorize body shop and only when there were body works been done.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM

I am considering purchasing a volvo s60(?) where do i find out the average prices 4 oil changes, brakes, timing belts, water pumps, air, fuel and oil filters etc. basic service things. i would like to purchase one but yearly maintenance will determine whether i buy or not. thank you 4 all ur input

Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile S60 Purchase

Review the "STICKY's" in the S60 forum. Review the preventative maintenance for the specific vehicle options you intend to purchase.
The stickys will give you vendor info for most parts and recommendations for the types of fluids to use or not use. Vendors supplying timing belts/chains/kits are there. Search the forum for timing chains/belts to get info on how to do, cautions anf tips. Rule of thumb - The more milage on a vehicle the more it will cost to maintain if all maintenance wasn't performed as required, or the closer it is to major maintenance. Always have a mechanic you trust check out the vehicle before purchase, look under on a lift for good indication of major work. A few dollars spent to get a good once over is less than the cost of major repairs! The forum will give you advice on which year/years have more problems also! You will find some especially good members on repairs, PM them for info if needed.
ALWAYS give complete info on vehicle in question - make model engine trans year mileage!! Good luck!