General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Sunroof leak/interior water damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof leak/interior water damage

I have a 2002 Volvo S60. It has been leaking water into the floorboards every time a heavy rain comes. As I researched the issue recently, I found there were 6 states that won a lawsuit against Volvo for the sunroof leaking. Volvo Buyers Win Certification in Leaky Sunroof Class Action Lawsuit I would like to know if anyone knows if I can pursue a similar action in Georgia? I will contact my dealer in the morning to find out what Volvo may be doing on their own about the issue. My entire interior is ruined along with many of the electrical connections due to the level of moisture in the car. Most recently my high beam switch works intermittently, the radio changes on its own, my blower fan went out completely etc... I at least have learned how to temporarily fix the leaking by cleaning the sunroof drain tubes, but I am still stuck with having to completely repair/replace the entire interior :/ Anyone with any info on the matter I would greatly appreciate your helpful input.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Why do so many people feel entitled to free fixes well out of warranty? Its a car. Things break and go wrong and need repair and maintenance. Its always someone else's fault it seems.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Default Volvo v50 sunroof leak

Hi - I've also just had to have the sunroof drain holes cleared by my Volvo Dealer and was charged £475 despite the fact that my car is still under warranty. It seems to me that the drain holes should have some kind of removal mesh to prevent the tubes from clogging otherwise the same thing could happen again along with another £475 bill.

My dealership told me that the sunroof seal was not a waterproof seal - can anyone confirm if that's correct?

Many thanks

Old 01-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

If there was mesh in front of the drain holes in the sunroof tub, it would get clogged and then overfill the tub and ruin the headliner. I've seen debris block the holes and cause damage to the dome light and headliner.

Warranty does not cover dirt.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
If there was mesh in front of the drain holes in the sunroof tub, it would get clogged and then overfill the tub and ruin the headliner. I've seen debris block the holes and cause damage to the dome light and headliner.

Warranty does not cover dirt.
That's sort of my point. Because the tubes were blocked but the debris not visible, water was backing up and dripping through the roof light. If a simple mesh was in place it could be checked regularly and any debris removed before causing the water to drip through into the interior.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have repaired two cars from "death by heater core" and in each case I had to resort to getting the carpet underlayment out of a car in better condition. The underlayment was always shaped and had some features. However, the carpet can be easily saved. Seats are never really a problem. I don't really spend any money doing this.

I am not of the opinion that everything is somebody else's fault. I would rather take the view that when things are broken it's okay to fix them. Had you repaired this on the first day you would not be complaining now about long-term damage.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Squashyman1
Hi - I've also just had to have the sunroof drain holes cleared by my Volvo Dealer and was charged £475 despite the fact that my car is still under warranty. It seems to me that the drain holes should have some kind of removal mesh to prevent the tubes from clogging otherwise the same thing could happen again along with another £475 bill.

My dealership told me that the sunroof seal was not a waterproof seal - can anyone confirm if that's correct?

Many thanks
Correct. It might seal just by luck, but in general retractible sunroofs are designed to leak and drain. You wouldn't naturally think of this until you see how one is built.

Side windows are same way. The rain that hits the windows goes down inside the door and drains out the bottom.

Convertibles are the worst. On a normal fabric top convertible all the rain that hits the roof goes down inside the car and this is considered normal. Again you wouldn't think anybody would do such a thing until you start looking at how they're made.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 01-16-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

I've repaired many cars with clogged sunroof drains. We just remove the carpets and air dry them. In about 90% of the cases, that's all that needs to be done. Sometimes, there is damage to the yaw sensor on cars equipped with it. Also, if the amplifier is under the passenger seat, it can sometimes be damaged. But that's about it. I very much doubt it is to blame for the high beams, radio and blower motor issues. You have a 14 year old car. Stuff breaks.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
Correct. It might seal just by luck, but in general retractible sunroofs are designed to leak and drain. You wouldn't naturally think of this until you see how one is built.

Side windows are same way. The rain that hits the windows goes down inside the door and drains out the bottom.

Convertibles are the worst. On a normal fabric top convertible all the rain that hits the roof goes down inside the car and this is considered normal. Again you wouldn't think anybody would do such a thing until you start looking at how they're made.
Thanks for the confirmation