General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvos, I don't know what it is....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvos, I don't know what it is....

I've owned a lot of high performance and exotic cars in my time, all of them daily drivers. I've always done my own maintenence on everything I've owned, I get to know my cars very well.
Every one of them I have owned, after a few months I start to dislike them or start thinking about it's replacement for various reasons. They've usually had soem significant flaw or been very difficult to service or similar.
However, my 745 is not like that, I have no idea why. It's just a very well made, reliable car that does what it's supposed to do very well and with minimal upkeep.
It's also a car that has a definite character. Initially you don't pick up on teh car having a character, but it's there. It's like when you meet someone and initially think of them as being rather conservative but as you get to know them, you are surprised by what they have done and their abilities. Kind of like when you modify the turbocharged engine just a tiny bit and horsepower starts oozing out of it with no effort. You just KNOW Volvo wanted to release this engine in the 740 with more power, but detuned it for teh clubfooted among us.
Anyway, I like my wagon, it's a surprisingly refined car for what it is, goes about it's business with minimal fuss, but will also alow you to have some serious fun. I can't believe this car is derived from a platform released in teh early 80's, it feels as tight as a 95 model car, with similar chassis dymanics and NVH levels.
Of course, it could be my distant Scandanavian ancestry causing all these feelings too.....
I wish I'd bought it years ago.

Regards, Andrew.

Last edited by Typhoon; 04-02-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

We all feel like that with the Volvo's.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldnt agree more

Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My in laws bought a 83 760 Turbo Diesel practically brand new. I didn't like the color, but when my wife and I borrowed it for something one day we said we had to have one. One day my five year old son was going into Children's Hosptital for a serious ankle surgery, where he could have lost the use of his ankle. At the same time my 12 year old Golden Retriever bloated up and could not move. Best dog I ever owned. He was my bud before getting married. So I take my dog and have him put down after having my son admitted to the hospital. I was pretty bummed out to say the least.

Wife was staying with my son at the hospital during the day and I was going over to spend the night with him while my two other kids stayed with my mother in law. Being all bummed out, I figure stopping to look at Volvo's would be something to get my mind off things. Went to the same place my father in law bought his and they had a white with burgundy leather interior 85 760 Turbo Diesel that was a returned factory rep car.

Traded in a piece of crap 83 Pontiac Bonneyville station wagon, and got next to nothing for a two year old car. The surgery on my son came out for the best and I got to bring him home from the hospital in the new Volvo. Have had at least one every since.