Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

940 cheap upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 cheap upgrades?

ive got a 1993 940, its the base model so its pretty slow and i was just wondering if there is a cheap way just to give me a little extra power if only to keep the person behind me on the highway happy.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 940 cheap upgrades?

1. Welcome

2. I suggest you search this forum before asking such an open ended question. There is tons of info and a great thread in the General Volvo section called VolvoForums Resources Thread. Which is linked in my signature. Not the one that says MODS but the other link.

2. What is your budget?

3. What is your Hp goal?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM

P.S. nothing in the Volvo performance aftermarket world is CHEAP. Expect to pay a lot for the parts you can find.

Your also non-turbo. So the mods that are available to you are limited even more so and the power increases are greatly lessened.

I seriously suggest selling the NA and buying a turbo model. You wont regret it. Even then things are still very exspensive but at least you have more options.

-Catback systems (Some premade, also can get is custom made at a local shop) Also you will gain about 5Hp.
-K&N panel filter (Do this or buy a stock paper filter also you could try and create your own intake system and I highly suggest a heatshield if you do) You will gain about 2-3 Hp with this mod.
-Cam Timing Tool (QBM = QuickBrickMotorSports) Slater sells these, however I don't see them listed for your model. I would e-mail him and find out if they will work on your car or not. Also if he doesn't respond to you right away don't worry. He is very ill with cancer and being healthy is his most important job as of right now. So don't bitch at him if he doesn't get back to you right away. You may have to wait a week or so.
-Weight reduction. If you remove items in your car you can gain some good acceleration. Spare tire and whatever else is back there. All the seats and replace yours with a racing seat. The hood weighs around 60 or so pounds. If you want to spend the big bucks have a place custom make you a fiberglass and or carbon fiber hood. You will spend a good $3k for the mold then some. You can do the same with the trunk lid if you like. Door panel can be removed and so can the carpet and headliner. Yeah it seems your loosing all the luxary. However if you want to gain something in an NA you will have to loose the weight. Unless you go all out and turbo your NA which will take a while and cost big big big bucks.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM

thanks for the info this is pretty helpful. and i looked around in the forums and found some other great advice. but im not looking for big acceleration increases and i can only really afford to spend a couple hundred dollars at a time. and my hp goal is very minimal. i doubt my car even has 100 anymore considering its age and mileage.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Well then do a full STAGE ZERO to get it back up and running as it should be. That is the first thing you need to do. STAGE ZERO can be found in the VolvoForums Resources Thread in the General Volvo section in the PINNED threads.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 PM

the link you told me didnt work for some reason but i did find it on another web site and it seemed like the same as a 30000 mile check up which i have had. Is there anything special that is not involved in a normal check up? And what about just getting a k&n filter? those seem pretty cheap and effective.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: ocswede

the link you told me didnt work for some reason but i did find it on another web site and it seemed like the same as a 30000 mile check up which i have had. Is there anything special that is not involved in a normal check up? And what about just getting a k&n filter? those seem pretty cheap and effective.
K&N fine. Wont gain much. About 2-5 Hp. 5 Hp at the very most. Wont be noticable at all. Might feel quicker throttle response.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 PM

oh okay. thanks for helping me out i really dont know much about this kind of stuff but im learning.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ocswede

oh okay. thanks for helping me out i really dont know much about this kind of stuff but im learning.
No problem.

Volvo's are exspensive to mod and sometimes you wont find some items at all.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Go by a caraudio shop and pick up a few pices of 4ga or 8ga wire and some ring terminals.

Upgrade every ground you can find between the engine block and the frame and between the battery and frame.

If you want you can also replace the wire between the alt and the fuse box.

This is a cheap upgrade that does help. (or free if you work at or know some one at a car stereo shop)
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...tem/index.html