Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

EST intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EST intake

Hi, Can anyone tell me from their experience how well the est ultra flo intake does? I ordered the intake and its on the way, but im just curious how other volvo people have liked it. You dont have to tell me to not buy itand waste money because I already did. Wasnt interested in just dropping a kn in there, wanted to do things right. I am in the middle of totally modifying my s40 as far as suspension, intake, ecu, etc. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: EST intake

I have one on order as well. Well not really it is sitting at my g/f's house till my birthday.

Anyways. It is an ok setup. Not as good as the stock intake. Why? Because it lets in hot air into the intake track which isn't good. Yeah it may come with a heatshield but it isn't terribly good. To be honest the EST intake is manily for looks and sound. You will hear your turbo more with the cone filter attached.

You didn't waste your money for looks or sound, but you probably did for performance. I bet you will loose a few Hp from doing this mod. Which isn't that bad.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:45 PM

I would have just settled with the kn filter, but I wanted something other than the plain airbox. From what I saw there aren't any cold air intakes out there for the s40 before ford took them over. Correct me if I'm wrong? and thanks for the heads!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

I would have just settled with the kn filter, but I wanted something other than the plain airbox. From what I saw there aren't any cold air intakes out there for the s40 before ford took them over. Correct me if I'm wrong? and thanks for the heads!
Don't know what year your s40 is, but I know K&N made somewhat of an intake for s40's. And again I doubt you will gain much from it at all.

The only way to get a true cold air intake it to fab one up yourself, or have a local shop bend the pipe for you.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 PM

Also, while we are on the topic, I currently have the MHI TD04l-12t turbo model on my 04 S40, how would I go about if i wanted to upgrade to a turbo that would give me more power? I'm at a lost with this turbo stuff, but I know guys turbo swap and there are aftermarket turbos I can get, and obviously upgrading a turbo means ill be upgrading more than just the turbo, but I need to find out from someone what is out there, all my friends have the ease of tuning their jap craps....

Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 AM

Also, while we are on the topic, I currently have the MHI TD04l-12t turbo model on my 04 S40, how would I go about if i wanted to upgrade to a turbo that would give me more power? I'm at a lost with this turbo stuff, but I know guys turbo swap and there are aftermarket turbos I can get, and obviously upgrading a turbo means ill be upgrading more than just the turbo, but I need to find out from someone what is out there, all my friends have the ease of tuning their jap craps....
If I am not mistaken the s40's have a intergrated exhaust manifold and turbo setup.

Thusly I don't think you can just swap a new bigger turbo in there. I think you would have to make a custom exhaust manifold able to run whatever turbo you want.

If that is not the case then upgrading the turbo to something bigger is a little easier. You find a turbo that is in the same family or not and if not then you have to figure a way to place it on the exhaust manifold. You will also be upgrading the exhaust system. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 3" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. Also you should upgrade your ECU to a better tune for the bigger turbo and exhaust system. You may also want to think about creating a custom FMIC setup which will be better then the OEM intercooler.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM

your help is much appreciated. I guess at this point Ill have to see whats its like in there. for now ill have the intake on, im lowering the car with bilstein struts shocks and the eibach 1 inch lowering springs. After that I'll probably start looking into ecu upgrade and then the turbo/exhaust. It's just a little hard with this s40, all the good performance products are pretty much made for the t4's and the s70, s80s...but by the time im done with this car, i would love to have it upwards near a 13.5-14second car. Maybe im dreaming, but ill give what i got. thanks!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM

FYI it is going to take some monies to get it to a 13 second car.

A lot of time, engery, money and most importantly tuning.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM

really? you don't think that the EST cone intake w/ the heat shield won't boost performance? because, i am not looking for "cool" sound or good looks at the moment, but just for performance.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM

oh, and before i forget, do you think that the ECU upgrade from EST would be a good buy? because it looks very appealing to me

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: eclark

really? you don't think that the EST cone intake w/ the heat shield won't boost performance? because, i am not looking for "cool" sound or good looks at the moment, but just for performance.
It wont boost performance like crazy. It will boost performance slightly.

ORIGINAL: eclark

oh, and before i forget, do you think that the ECU upgrade from EST would be a good buy? because it looks very appealing to me
Yes the ECU upgrade from EST is a great buy. For those that don't know he is talking about the BSR PPC upgrade that is sold by EST. You wont be disappointed if you buy the BSR PPC from EST.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

If I am not mistaken the s40's have a intergrated exhaust manifold and turbo setup.

Thusly I don't think you can just swap a new bigger turbo in there. I think you would have to make a custom exhaust manifold able to run whatever turbo you want.

If that is not the case then upgrading the turbo to something bigger is a little easier. You find a turbo that is in the same family or not and if not then you have to figure a way to place it on the exhaust manifold. You will also be upgrading the exhaust system. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 3" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. Also you should upgrade your ECU to a better tune for the bigger turbo and exhaust system. You may also want to think about creating a custom FMIC setup which will be better then the OEM intercooler.
i know i'm mad late on this, but ATP turbo has an adapter plate that will allow you to bolt up any turbo with a T3 flange to the volvo manifold. i love ATP's service and speedy delivery for the DIY. check it out. ATPturbo.com