Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Worries about upgrading exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worries about upgrading exhaust

Well, work is finally slowing down, so i get some time to get back to the car. my next change should be the exhaust, but i have some mixed emotions

ive seen on here several times, that the 3" upgrade is the way to go, or at least the most popular. my two main concerns:

* will i have to change the ecu if going from stock to 3" from downpipe to tip, with magnaflow, or will factory ECU still work?

* will i sound like the civics in the high school parking lot?

(96 850 Turbo)

i really think the exhaust is going to be next, i just want to make sure of these 2 things before it happens. im not expecting a major hp boost, and its still a work commuter. i drive about 30 min each way, between 70-130mph (depending on the wind, since there are some NICE straits along the highway). i dont need the headache of an overpowering exhaust note, although deeper would be nice.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Default RE: Worries about upgrading exhaust

ones i have been looking at:

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-850-en

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.as...233&RootID=629
(although ive got different worries about ordering from ipd)

and finally, just handing it over to the well-respected exhaust guys in a neighboring town.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well are you planning on putting a bigger turbo in?

Nonetheless get a 3" downpipe and a 2.5" free flowing catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. Have it all custom made by a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend.

You will not sound like a Civic, trust me.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM

Your ECU will be fine. But if you want to take advantage of the bigger downpipe get an ECU upgrade. IPD / RICA / SpeedTuning USA / Upsolute / Inmotion

Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM

i was thinking of the turbo upgrade, but thats further down the line - just dont have the time or money for something that serious yet. im trying to get ahold of a beater pickup, so i'll have at least something to drive while the volvo is being worked on. as of now, if i dont have my car running, i dont go anywhere >.<

with the new promotion at work, i cant be without a car, in case something happens at my store. if i get a turbo, i'll get the ecu at the same time

Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 AM

If your going to be upgrading to a bigger turbo later then do a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust system. That is if you know for sure you going to upgrade later to a bigger turbo.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Well are you planning on putting a bigger turbo in?

Nonetheless get a 3" downpipe and a 2.5" free flowing catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. Have it all custom made by a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend.

You will not sound like a Civic, trust me.
Had an R in the shop today with that Combo sounded AWESOME.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how'd the rest of the upgrade go?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Have an 07 S60R and I think that im ready to get an up-graded exhaust. Love the low humming from the start but then it gets real thin on high end, any ideals on how to maintain that great sound. Maybe a bit deeper. But not the honda sound. I guess similar wories as flame but not looking to do any major mods.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I've been AWOL from this forum for quite some time.

Getting a 3" downpipe with a 2.5 catback is a HORRIBLE idea.

Exhaust gas expands as it travels through your exhaust. Going from 3-2.5" essentially creates a bottle-neck, which increases backpressure, which you never want in a turbo-charged car. The turbo creates enough backpressure on it's own. In extremely rare cases, a bottle-neck like that can cause some serious damage to your turbo.

If you aren't going to go with a 3" exhaust from down-pipe to exhaust tip, you should go with a 2.5 downpipe, and 3" mandrel-bent catback. Although, in all honestly, if you arent' planning on upgrading your turbo, increasing boost-levels, or seriously racing, then a press-bent exhaust will do the job for a good bit less money.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: alecw81

Exhaust gas expands as it travels through your exhaust. Going from 3-2.5" essentially creates a bottle-neck, which increases backpressure, which you never want in a turbo-charged car. The turbo creates enough backpressure on it's own. In extremely rare cases, a bottle-neck like that can cause some serious damage to your turbo.

If you aren't going to go with a 3" exhaust from down-pipe to exhaust tip, you should go with a 2.5 downpipe, and 3" mandrel-bent catback. Although, in all honestly, if you arent' planning on upgrading your turbo, increasing boost-levels, or seriously racing, then a press-bent exhaust will do the job for a good bit less money.
A 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system is perfectly fine and most Volvo owners do it. Now if you think it is right or wrong is another thing all together. Just because you think one way is better then the other doesn't make it right.

A lot of Volvo owners have been doing 3" downpipes to 2.5" catback systems for years and are seeing great results.

Now a full 3" system is good, but is not needed.

What is needed in the least is a 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system. See mandrel bends help move the exhaust gases more freely then a crush bent system does.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

sorry, im going to have to agree with s70 on this one, you need some sort of back pressure with these turbos, I have found at least with the s40's, that the most common mod on the exhaust is a 3" dp to a 2.5" catback free flow exhaust...

Old 04-10-2008, 12:46 PM

Well with turbo cars you want the most free flowing exhaust possible. So yes a full 3" system is good to have however...

However it isn't truly needed unless you upgrade the turbo. So having a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system is good. Again if you upgrade your turbo to something bigger and better a full 3" turboback system will benefit you more.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

sorry, im going to have to agree with s70 on this one, you need some sort of back pressure with these turbos, I have found at least with the s40's, that the most common mod on the exhaust is a 3" dp to a 2.5" catback free flow exhaust...

No.

Period.

The turbo creates all the back-pressure necessary.

After the turbo, you want as little pressure as possible. You want those gasses OUT ASAP.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM

No.

Period.

After the turbo, you want as little pressure as possible. You want those gasses OUT ASAP.
Yes you are correct. I am not arguing with you on that fact.

What I am arguing with you about is that although a 3" turboback would be nice.

1. Most people wont shell out the cash for it.

2. With the Volvo it isn't needed if your not upgrading your turbo. A 2.5" catback and a 3" downpipe will do just fine and you will see nice gains with it and the gases will expell out the system just fine.

Now I don't know how long you have been in the Volvo world, but obviously not long if you don't know that most people do a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system both mandrel bent in our turboed models. That is what most people do. Some people who keep the stock turbo do a full 3" turboback most do not and guess what it works just fine for them and they get the results they are looking for.

Now the guys/girls who upgrade their Volvo turbo to something bigger do a full 3" turboback usually. I don't think I have seen anyone do anything else besides the EVOLVE 3.5" downpipe system.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM

No.

Period.

talk about hostility and attitude

Old 04-12-2008, 02:50 PM

I think it's pretty much a given that with a turbo you want the least amount of backpressure possible in a tubo engine. Backpressure will hamper the spool-up of the turbo.

But why argue over half an inch? If a3"exhaust has amore restrictivemuffler than a 2.5, is it worth it? What if you get the free-est flowing cat availible in a 2.5" dp, is that better than an average flowing cat on a 3"? Find the specs, and decide what you want.

BUt if I remember correctly, I think the biggest reason people go with 2.5,is3" is a really tight fit on certainmodels, and obviously the cost.