Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

upgrading a 98 V70R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading a 98 V70R?

I've got a 98 V70R that just turned over 100K miles. Instead of spending what would come close to 50 grand on a new one (much as I'd like to), my guess is that I'd get as much bang for fewer bucks by doing a few interesting upgrades to the car.

So I'm soliciting here ideas and input on the notions listed below, and anything else that folks have tried or might suggest. Thanks!
[ul][*] Really good detailing to see how it looks ...[*] Repaint, undent, etc[*] New Auto trans -- existing one getting loose and slippy[*] Chip or Turbo Upgrade?[*] HID or Xenon Lamps[*] New Sound System -- MP3?[*] Interior Upgrade? but the existing one is looking good.
[/ul]

What else might be fun? I figure I can spend a grand or two every few months and maybe put off getting a new one for a long time.

Or I could just break down and get a new one ... your ideas welcome! Thanks!

Old 01-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: upgrading a 98 V70R?

ORIGINAL: RonJeffries

I've got a 98 V70R that just turned over 100K miles. Instead of spending what would come close to 50 grand on a new one (much as I'd like to), my guess is that I'd get as much bang for fewer bucks by doing a few interesting upgrades to the car.

So I'm soliciting here ideas and input on the notions listed below, and anything else that folks have tried or might suggest. Thanks!
[ul][*] Really good detailing to see how it looks ...[*] Repaint, undent, etc[*] New Auto trans -- existing one getting loose and slippy[*] Chip or Turbo Upgrade?[*] HID or Xenon Lamps[*] New Sound System -- MP3?[*] Interior Upgrade? but the existing one is looking good.
[/ul]

What else might be fun? I figure I can spend a grand or two every few months and maybe put off getting a new one for a long time.

Or I could just break down and get a new one ... your ideas welcome! Thanks!
The detailing is a great idea, and if you maintain it afterwards your going to love it.

Repainting, and undenting it will make it look a hell of a lot better in the long run.

Auto trans if you don't know how to drive stick (Like me) get a new one. If you know stick, then do a manual swap. I think they range around $3k or something like that.

Ok you can chip your car. I did, Speed Tuning USA chip. There are other chip companies out there like, RICA (http://www.vptuning.com), IPD, EST, Upsolute. IPD and RICA are the most exspensive, but two of the best. Speed Tuning USA is the cheapest, but is a good upggrade. I love mine.

Now for your tubo upgrade, your going to need a ECU upgrade to take full potential of the new turbo. Also more then likely your going to need a new downpipe if you get a new turbo upgrade. I would go with a 3" downpipe if you do this, and a 2.5" to a full 3" CAT-back system, depending on what size turbo you would be putting on.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Auto trans if you don't know how to drive stick (Like me) get a new one. If you know stick, then do a manual swap. I think they range around $3k or something like that.

Ok you can chip your car. I did, Speed Tuning USA chip. There are other chip companies out there like, RICA (http://www.vptuning.com), IPD, EST, Upsolute. IPD and RICA are the most exspensive, but two of the best. Speed Tuning USA is the cheapest, but is a good upggrade. I love mine.

Now for your tubo upgrade, your going to need a ECU upgrade to take full potential of the new turbo. Also more then likely your going to need a new downpipe if you get a new turbo upgrade. I would go with a 3" downpipe if you do this, and a 2.5" to a full 3" CAT-back system, depending on what size turbo you would be putting on.
I could imagine going to a manual but probably won't, as my wife likes to drive the car and doesn't like manual. And I'd think putting a clutch pedal in would a a bit much anyway.

Good point on the turbo upgrade. That would be costly and my son, a master tech, thinks the most likely outcome on a car that old is to blow the head gasket.

Were you able to tell much difference with your chip? Tell me more about your experience with that, if you have the time.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2006, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJeffries

I could imagine going to a manual but probably won't, as my wife likes to drive the car and doesn't like manual. And I'd think putting a clutch pedal in would a a bit much anyway.

Good point on the turbo upgrade. That would be costly and my son, a master tech, thinks the most likely outcome on a car that old is to blow the head gasket.

Were you able to tell much difference with your chip? Tell me more about your experience with that, if you have the time.

Thanks!
Ok so the manual swap is off.

The turbo upgrade would be costly, but it would be worth it by far. With all of that. Buy a new head gasket then too.

As for the chip. Like I said I went with SpeedTuning USA. Since there was a groupbuy on Volvospeed a few months back for it. I think they are regularly priced at $325 and the groupbuy was $265 + $14 shipping. I had the 12 PSI version of the chip, and stock my car runs 5-7 PSI. They have a 15 and 17 PSI chip as well. Most people go for the 15 and or 17 PSI chips. I didn't because I have a LPT turbo with no other mods. Plus 12-15 PSI is the turbo efficency range. With the new chip I noticed a huge difference. I mean it was like day and night difference. I boosted to 12 PSI with no problems. The lower end is much quicker, and I got a little more higher end as well. I just love it. I cannot wait to slap on a 3" downpipe and 2.5" CAT-back system.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 PM

Ok so the manual swap is off.

The turbo upgrade would be costly, but it would be worth it by far. With all of that. Buy a new head gasket then too.

As for the chip. Like I said I went with SpeedTuning USA. Since there was a groupbuy on Volvospeed a few months back for it. I think they are regularly priced at $325 and the groupbuy was $265 + $14 shipping. I had the 12 PSI version of the chip, and stock my car runs 5-7 PSI. They have a 15 and 17 PSI chip as well. Most people go for the 15 and or 17 PSI chips. I didn't because I have a LPT turbo with no other mods. Plus 12-15 PSI is the turbo efficency range. With the new chip I noticed a huge difference. I mean it was like day and night difference. I boosted to 12 PSI with no problems. The lower end is much quicker, and I got a little more higher end as well. I just love it. I cannot wait to slap on a 3" downpipe and 2.5" CAT-back system.
As I read the vptuning site, an issue seems to be that I have a V70R AWD. Most of the stuff listed seems to take a T-5 from its stock performance up to the level of the V70R ... I hypothesize by duplicating that car's boost and chip. I'm not sure of that and will inquire of them.

Maybe I should just wash it and wait till spring comes and I can get my 350SLK out again ... but it would be fun to do some stuff, and since I have this master tech for a son, things are quite possible!

Thanks,

Old 01-06-2006, 10:12 AM

There are plenty of performance upgrades out there for you. Call the places and talk to them, they will help you.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:51 PM

There are plenty of performance upgrades out there for you. Call the places and talk to them, they will help you.
I'll give it a shot in my copious free time. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 PM

http://www.ipdusa.com
http://www.vptuning.com
http://www.eurosporttuning.com
http://www.volvomotorsports.com
http://www.speedtuningusa.com/
http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

VPTuning is your RICA dealer for the U.S. There are some links for you. Check them all out.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Before you do any serious modding to your car. You should do a full STAGE 0, check out http://www.volvospeed.com In their PERFORMANCE section of the forum under the PINNED threads there is a list of what STAGE 0 consists of.

Also you should get a BOOST gauge if you don't have one already. Autometer makes really good ones. I have their Phantom Series one and love it a lot. You will want to know how much boost your actually making instead of relying on the needle on the dash if you have one of those.

Also you can find pods for your gauges at, http://www.ipdusa.com (However they are not cheap)

You can find the same single gauge, and also double gauge and triple gauge pods at http://www.gaugepods.com

I have their triple gauge pod, and it was a worth while investment.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 PM

Definitely good advice, and lots of good links, thanks! I need to decide how much time and money to put into this car, which is my winter driver, not my toy. And it has to be able to do a few long trips, unless I can convince my wife that we'd just love doing a few thousand miles in the SLK ...

Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 PM

Been digging into those sites. Definitely good stuff! I particularly like the ipd guys so far, but I'm not done looking.

Thanks much!

Old 01-08-2006, 12:58 AM

IPD makes really good quality stuff. They are exspensive though.