New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

1998 Volvo S70 2.4L Turbo

Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 Volvo S70 2.4L Turbo

Hello,
New member here I just bought a old 1998 S70 2.4L GLT Turbo Volvo W 223,000 miles for kicks and I LOVE IT but some issues have come up and I would like to ask all of you to help.
First off the car is burning a little oil on start up after I put in a quart or two (yes I have a small leak also still going to clean and look for causes) and when I gas harder it come from the back of the engine not the tail pipe!
Second I have a bigger power steering leak that involves me to put in at least a quart every week. I see that the high pressure hose is pumping out some at the metal/rubber connection on the bottom part of the hose (not the rack since it was replaced) plus I see a little damp area underneath the power steering fluid cap. I am sure that they just need replacement but I wanna know some other issues you all have had to make sure.
Lastly I have had new tires put on and balanced at a shop and I still have a vibration while BRAKING only at higher speed 30-50 anyone know whats up with that? maybe bad rotors? I'm not sure.
All in all I love this car is it MINT condition and the looks I get from it are like how is that thing so clean. I want to make the engine as good as the body so I need some help!

Thanks Everyone!!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

oil leaks are often caused by a clogged PCV system. As the pressure builds up, it can actually force oil out through the seals (including cam seals). Check the vids on Youtube for the rubber glove test etc. For your power steering, check if you have a leaky reservoir or the power steering hose itself (may need tightening if the rack was replaced but the hose is a $300 part). As to the vibrations, sounds like a warped rotor to me. Not all that uncommon but make sure you don't have a sticky caliper (you can try cleaning any dirt from around the rubber piston seal) Tough to say if its front or rears...

Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I have been watching Robert DIY on youtube and he seems really good at what he does. (If not let me know)
PCV Unit kinda sucks but it will be a project I will need to do to figure out whats going on.
Did the glove trick and behold a balloon glove! So the PCV system is clogged I have seen people just clean them out but it has 223,000 on it LOL. So i'll just replace any comments on cleaning them?
The power steering to confirm is leaking from the hoses I can see dampness on the hoses from the PS unit and below. I think I'll just replace the WHOLE unit pump, high pressure and all the others to make this fix complete.
On the rotor I did hit a curb during this Minnesota snow storm we had in April that was terrible I hit kinda hard causing a tire blow out... Which makes me think that when that happened I bent a rotor...
It only started to shake after I hit the curb going maybe 5-10 MPH.. How can I check for a bent rotor?
The previous owner BABIED this car I mean replaced everything as it went out with OEM parts. Oil changes the whole 9 so hopefully that helped me.
THANK YOU I have been on the internet for hours looking for these answers.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The drain from the PCV separator pot goes to the bottom of the oil pan, so it probably will be plugged up with solids inside the oil pan. I am sure lots of videos on this will address all the rest of it.

I don't think you can bend a rotor, but the way it's made, it indicates its own true-ness by going through the caliper. So you would check for a bent rotor by measuring (or at least looking at) how it relates to the fixed part of the caliper bracket. If you see any runout there, you could measure it at least with feeler gauges or a dial indicator. A driver can feel very tiny amounts of brake rotor irregulator, though.