New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

1st Time Owner of the new Google System

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st Time Owner of the new Google System

2023 XC60 B5 Yes, I am the 1st time owner of Volvo's new Google System, and oh yeah, the first time owner of a Volvo. I really love the Volvo itself, the luxury and looks, but I am beginning to hate the Google based system. It has so much potential, but it seems Volvo is not taking advantage of this. There are so many "little things" wrong with this 2 year old system. You would think after the first year, (2022), Volvo would get all of the wrinkles ironed out....but they haven't. The home screen is really useless and counter intuitive...I feel you should be able to customize it more...say like have your music, phone, maps, and whatever else in different "boxes". Instead all you have is four strips to functions that I haven't figured out how to change yet. But why change them at all...the home screen will look the same. Unless I am on the home screen I cannot see what radio station I tuned to using the steering wheel buttons. Why not have it display in the center console and the HUD?? Speaking of the center console display....all I get is a map or nothing at all. Wow! There is so much more information that could be put there, but it is just on or off. I still have not got the Parking and Rear Air Con page to work...it is just shadowed out. I got a new phone this week and tried to add and connect it to my Volvo. I followed the directions in the App and the process didn't work. Ended up with my phone working and connected in the car OK, but the App didn't work. Called Volvo and they had me do a complete erase to factory settings to fix the problem. I lost all of my profiles and settings because of this. Adding a new phone should not be this complicated. And what kind of car has a page showing your tires with a circle besides each one, but has no tire pressure indications??!! Really? Almost all luxury cars have a place to read actual tire pressures, but not Volvo. I will stop my ranting for now...and YES, I have read the Owner's Manual, especially when I need to do a task on the car. But the owner's manual is severely lacking...no detail and sometimes nothing at all. Come on Volvo, get your stuff together and open the potential of this car!

Old 06-19-2023, 02:34 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Volvo uses the ABS sensors to use wheel speed to detect any low tire pressure. I am not huge on this system as I would also like to see the actual pressure. The only plus side it has, is that is is cheaper to maintain and you won't have to buy expensive tpms sensors if one dies.

I see a lot of people complain about the whole touch screen interface in new cars and it keeps me open minded for my next car when the time comes. I love volvo's, i do not love using an iPad to change my car temps and radio station. I see Audi has a hybrid type system where they still have ***** but also utilize a touchscreen. Might be where I end up.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also a first time Volvo owner - with a 2023 XC40 B5.

I am a far more experienced Google user and am active in the Google support communities. So I tend to understand the good/bad of Google systems.

Overall, I prefer buttons to touchscreen systems and Volvo seems to have found a happy medium, compared to some of the touchscreen-only systems.

When we were shopping for the vehicle, we tested many different brands and infotainment systems. I'm a realist, in that I expect that every system will have some assortment of good/bad/likes/bugs. I rely on Google Maps for driving and know that there are MANY issues with Android Auto systems, so the Android Automotive concept seems to eliminate the connectivity issues that Android Auto users fight.

We have Pixel phones and the new generations are very power hungry. I have a dedicated USB-C PD PPS charger for the car that can supply sufficient power, because built in chargers are frequently weak. The USB-C ports in the XC40 seem reasonably powerful. Bluetooth connectivity can also be a problem with Android Auto systems, so I avoid it.

So, I've sold my soul to Google and will learn to deal with the new system.

I want to be able to share location from the vehicle's Google Maps, just like I can do with our phones. Also, hope for an easier way to transfer a destination from a phone to the vehicle.