New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Any advice for potential newbe

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for potential newbe

Hi folks,

I am actively looking for a S60, V70 or S80 as a second/project car. Probably around the 2003 era mainly due to budget!!!. I have never owned a Volvo before so they are all new to me.

I have always been in the 4 ring camp and have always had something with at least 5 cylinders. So looking for something with the 2.0T 5 Cylinder. Due to the crazy tax laws in Ireland where I am currently working this engine is a good compromise for power to CC as the tax bands work on CC.

I have test drove a couple now and like them but both have had enough concerns not to buy. The S80 with 119,000 miles on it was very oily in the exhaust and was hesitant on the uptake so not sure if it were oil on the plugs or needing plugs and or leads/coils. What is the ignition on this engine, coils? The other (150,000 miles) had a cracking smooth engine but needed a bit for the next test which is in a couple of weeks and don't really have time to be working on a car I know nothing about!

Does anyone have any advice for what I should be looking out for on these?

Any help welcomed and will hopefully have a decent one shortly.

Last edited by Mark Wemyss; 04-24-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Volvos (and VW/Audis) since 1999 or so went away from the traditional rotor/cap to coil packs. The 5s use a single coil per cylinder design, while my '00 S40 1.9T has one coil for two plugs. Generally the coil packs are good for 100K miles or so then they start to lose the top voltage which can lead to misfires. Normally that should throw a check engine light. Another problem is the connectors themselves to the coils can crack so from time to time the wire harness may be at fault. I'd be caution about a car running rich as it can also clog the catalytic converter. As to buying a used volvo, #1 rule is know when the timing belt is due as they are interference engines (failed timing belt = bent exhaust valves and possible scored pistons). After that check the transmission fluid. Wipe the dip stick on a white paper towel. Red is new fluid, brownish red is used but serviceable, black with a burn smell = time is ticking on the transmission. Last is whether everything works as expected - ACs blow cold all day even on a warm day (ok maybe not such a big problem for all locations)? any odd suspension noises/clicking/thumps?

Check some of the model specific boards for sticky threads with buyer guides. Most issues and advise carries over across models.