New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Ok guys, I am back again and looking to buy a Volvo this time for sure!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys, I am back again and looking to buy a Volvo this time for sure!

I was here about a year ago or so looking up, reading up and asking questions about Volvos. At that time my wife kept insisting on getting an all wheel drive vehicle. Anyway, we ended up with an Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 turbo. Now that my wife has a different schedule, we can’t share the same daily driver. I always loved Volvos. I want to get one with some *****. That being said, I defiantly want one with a turbo and something I can tweak a bit and still be reliable. I am not looking to light the world on fire as I have plenty of other toys that can do that with. Now that being said I have more questions. Please bear with me!

1) How can I tell which Volvos are turbo?
2) How can I tell which one is high pressure or High boost setup? Is it the T model?
3) Is the 850R the fastest?
4) Can you make the other models just as fast or faster?
5) Which model can take the abuse?
6) What is the weakest link? Trans?
7) Does all the turbo Volvos require premium gas? I know that’s a silly question but running only 7-8 psi do you need to run premium gas?
8) Has anyone tried E85?

As always I really appreciate all of your input!!!

Prasad

Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Man 33 people looked at this post and no one has any advice, Am I in the wrong section?

Prasad

Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM

No, your not in the wrong place..

Owning a Volvo is much more than just speed.

If it is a T yes it is a turbo.

What year are you looking at?
You have to be prepared to maintain it. It will cost at least 1k or more a year to do that.
I always use primeum fuel. If you take care of your Volvo it will take care of you. I just all my fluids every monday. This is my second Volvo.

Volvo's are not for the faint at heart

Karrilee

Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Thank you so much for the reply

I am looking at a 1996 Black 850 R for $3100 with 134K on it. It has new suspension, timing belt, tires and brakes. I was told everything works.
Also there is a White 1997 850R with 166K for the same price. It has few cosmetic issues along with the check engine light is on and the traction control light is on. The owner says that the one of the O2 sensor is out and that is the reason for the check engine light. Since the check engine light in on for the O2 sensor, it triggered the traction control light which I know is BS.
I am not looking to beat the crap out of this car, I thought I can do basic mods to improve performance like better down pipe, no cat , free flowing exhaust, K&N filter and so on. Nothing Radical.
I am very familiar with turbo applications as well as cars that are very finicky. I restore, mod and race Buick Grand nationals as a hobby.

Thanks
Prasad