New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

S80 t6 head/valve work-who does what

Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face S80 t6 head/valve work-who does what

My name is jennifer and I am new here, this is my first post. although I have soooo many questions and info regarding work and issues I've had with this car. I am a female who you probably wouldn't think would know or be interested in what a shop does. Because I am bubbly and friendly they thought I wouldn't pick up on these issues:

I have so many questions, concerns and information to offer other volvo owners who own a 2003 s80 t6 for another post.

What is the correct wording for work that involves a shop, and machine shop replacing valves? Is is a valve job? a cylindar head? what is the correct terms.

I am interested in finding out when valves need to be replaced and the shop sends the head to a machine shop, who does what? Who is responsible for what?
Who does what? who orders which parts? Who is responsible for the removal of all the components to remove the head? What does the 19.6 (19 hours 36 minutes using mitchel labor reate) include? 2352.00 price inlude?

Since volvo does not sell head gasket kit, the parts are ordered individually. Which parts should have been ordered for this job?

Did the machine shop:
order the valves and related parts?
clean and machine the valves?
which valves? only the burnt ones?
who inspects cylinder head?
who lists the r + r of engine componeents such as spark plugs, timing belt etc.?
who orders and replaces valve seals, guides and springs?

cams did not go to machine shop, they were laying in a tray with the 500 bolts the shop removed all componenets to get to the head. Obviously the cams were not removed using a specific tool which keeps the cams and gears all lined up for timing.

who is responsible for ordering all parts which is typical for this job?
who is responsible for the correct assembly of all related parts removed?
who is responsible for the correct timing

It seems that the price for the machine shop part should have included R+R of the VVT and timing belt...

I have 3 work orders I am looking at:

1st - was the workorder/estimate I agreed to 3360.44

2nd - original altered and the one I had to pay from which included 1400.00 more than I agreed revising original estimate to 4191.29 (involving a 3rd shop, due to the fact they could not figure out the rough idle due to timing issues, so the 3rd shop replaced the camshaft adjusting units, left parts off, missing bolts and listing the parts replaced as vanos gear and hub (which looks to be a bmw part not a cvvt)

They also listed a crankshaft gear which looks to be on the lower end of the motor and that wasn't what they were working on... ?? Among several other line items such as sparkplugs @ 20 minutes a plug. R E A L L Y?

3rd - I requested a tear down estimate and I got a revised workorder adding a bunch of line items and things that contradict the other two work orders increasing the total price to $5,412.68 and still didn't give me a breakdown of exactly what was ordered and installed and by whom?

Requested all my parts back... and got one valve and the two old camshaft gears in volvo boxes and the part number on the box do not go with the actual gears that were removed. Charged me for vanos gears and hub (a bmw part). Why did these need to be replaced at the last minute? Did they mess stuff up trying to figure out how to get the timing right? wouldn't they have noticed these damaged when they removed them? The 3rd shop still didn't have it timed right.

Who is responsible for the timing? and troubleshooting the timing? Especially when the cams were not removed with the gears using a specific tool to keep the components all lined up.

I ended up with no oil pressure on my way to volvo to get the car checked as there were many issues after getting the car back, skid control light, brake service, check engine etc. Real loud whining sound from engine. Several issues I had to deal with and had to take my car back there over 4 times where they put 1000 miles on my car that was not running correctly and not put back together the way they got it.

Its been a nightmare and I I feel they knew exactly how they were ripping me off.. and when I went to pick up the car and it wasn't there... they told me it was out, 2 hours away. They delivered a transmission 200 miles away in my car that is whining and not right. I get in and there is no oil pressure, after taking my car back to them about 5 times, I was done.. I made an appointment at an independent volvo mechanic so they can check what those shops did. They didn't think I would get the car home and look in the engine where I found the air box MISSING... , several bolts missing from manifold, catlic. converter bolt off, hood didn't stay up anymore, motor mount all messed up, the fuel line completely floating and not bolted down, coolant low and volvo said (among many other issues) the oil was low and dirty, a huge black blanket thing in the trunk with the white mats for the floor board, and tranny oil all over the place, a spare tire that is full of mud and the tire holder is chewed up and broken. I am not thrilled with them and want to call them on everything. Although, I have a lot of information I still want to understand the above.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Where are all the "don't go to the stealership! Only take your car to indy shops!" people now?

Sounds like you got screwed. Generally, we pull the head at the dealer and send it to the machine shop. They do the work necessary and send it back. We reinstall it.