New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Soon to be Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be Owner!

Hello everyone. My name is Charles and, as the title suggests, I will soon be an owner of a Volvo! Well... i'm 95% sure i'll be purchasing a volvo-- mainly for the prestige of safety.

Some basic info on me: I am from Hawaii; 24 yrs old; father of a 4 yr old son and a 1 yr old daughter; and of course, happily married.

My current family vehicle is a 2002 ford explorer which I partially modified in the aim of balancing "Family Friendly" and "Performance" in mind.... but now, I feel like upgrading to a more "luxurious" and sophisticated vehicle-- and thats why i opt for a volvo.

I needed some suggestions with which model would YOU suggest? Being that I feel totally comfortable (and somewhat spoiled) with my current SUV... I'm steering towards the xc90. The reason why is because of the space/room and height/visibility I would get in an SUV in comparison to a sedan like the s40/s60. That is, unless I could be swayed into the non-SUV models by all you sedan/wagon owners. After all... this will be used just as a vehicle to transport the family in a safe cacoon and not my daily driver.

I'm looking forward to a wonderful relationship with you all. Aloha!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Soon to be Owner!

Welcome

IMO I would go for a Wagon. I am not a big Fan of the XC90.
I would rather have a 1998 V70 wagon. If you are looking at New then really look at a V70T5.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are looking for a newer, if not brand new, vehicle. I simply don't see the need for a SUV. I had a Jeep Wagoneer, a Jeep Cherokee, a 4Runner, then a Suburban. The only ones I ever took off the road were the Jeeps and that was fun, but what is the need for 4WD in Hawaii? I really like the V70 and that would be my suggestion also. I now go more for the sporty look and the better performance and better gas mileage. I would like to have a newer V70 T5 in gun metal or that medium blue color. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 AM

dito...V-70...or perhaps the XC-70.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:41 PM

thanks for the suggestions. The gas mileage doesnt really bother me that much. Yes, it would be a plus to get 24 mpg, but I'm okay with 13-15mpg. And as far as offroading, I dont even drive through a puddle with aggression with my ford explorer....so skipping on the 4wd isnt a problem. The reason I'm favoring the SUV is:

1) the 7 seater makes a HUGE difference for me, and
2) I'm 5'3" and driving at a height an SUV provides makes things so much easier. My daily driver is a 94 mazda 626... and driver visibility is not too great-- especially if i'm driving behind an SUV. At least when I'm in my ford explorer I have such a better view of the road and the rest of the environment.

and thats basically it.

the xc70 just looks a bit weird to me...

If i were to choose a non-SUV... i'd probably wanna go with the v50... just because I think it looks better and more stylish than the v70. Of course, I'd sacrifice the 7 seater option.... but for that big of a price difference between the xc90 and v50, i'm willing to. I have a chance for an 01 s40 at a great price, but I'm afraid it would be no different from my mazda 626 (space-wise).

Id prefer to buy a used 2-3 yr old vehicle (possibly just off lease would be good)... just because the value of a brand spankin new vehicle drops insanely... and I'd get more bang for my buck with something 2 or 3 yrs old. That being said--- what 2-3 yr old model would you recommend?

Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM

maybe go a little older than two or three years. 99 is when Ford bought Volvo and ever since things have been a bit...off. They'll get it figured out eventually.

The S-40 is a great car but i can totally see your point on the visibility. the 50 should be a bit better for you? I've not been it one yet to be honest. I'm 6'5" so visibility isn't the first thing i look for in a car..lol.