Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

asking for a small donation-

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asking for a small donation-

I know I havent been here for a while but I'm asking for a bit of your generosity.

I've been building some radio control rock crawling scale trucks as a hobby, mostly from scratch. Well, I'm going to start building another one in a bit and this one will be raffled off with the proceeds going to the American Diabetes Association, http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp .

My mom is diabetic and her kidneys failed a couple years ago due to it. She's doing Dialysis 3x a week and my sister and I keep tabs on her health (sister's a nurse). Mom's doing fine. its a long story how I got to the point of doing a charity build, but if you're interested I'll share it.

Anyway, I'm short of funds to do a build, given how slow work has gotten, and would ask you to make a donation to my build, via paypal. It can be for any amount of money, a few dollars would be fine, anything $1 and up. Lots of the guys on the RC forums are also donating small parts that I will either use or sell to fund project and paypal allows me to order online and never have to actually handle any money. I have also recently become an official scale parts tester (chassis, axle hop-ups, etc) and will be getting discounts on parts through that. I also have some parts I can use in my spare parts box. Overall I'll probably need $400 or so total.

The finished truck will be raffled off at the National scale championship competition (yes, there is such a thing) in May. Not sure where it will be this year but last year it was in Montana. Raffle tickets will be sold shortly before that time. This donation is strictly towards the cost of materials for the build, and does not give you a raffle ticket.

If interested, Paypal to pablo(at)pma-architect(dot)com any amount you'd like. Make sure SCALE or something like that is in the subject so I can keep tabs of it.

I'm building something like this, but starting with a shorter 2dr body, splicing two together to make a 4dr. Mine wont be a Land Rover though. It will be a Mitsubishi Montero. I'll be making the body from scratch as well.

also, just to show what I do, here's a video of a recently completed truck. This ford crew cab, done in Angeles National Forest theme, was made by splicing together two regular cab truck bodies. the chassis was made of 1/2" steel tubing, bent and split down the middle to form C channel chassis with cross members brazed in. nearly every aspect of this truck was modified in some way to make it work for this build, from narrowing the axles (which are sourced, like most of the parts, from other types of RC vehicles), to making the wheels fit, to reducing and narrowing the tires to fit, etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grW0_kUKRzE

Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over a year later...yeah, life, family, work, it all got in the way. Finally finished it with the help of a few friends.

I present, the Montero charity giveaway.

Okay, time to make this happen. Of course there's some complications:

A raffle is a game of chance. AKA gambling. Gambling's bad, mmmm'kay? However, it's perfectly legal to randomly select a customer for a special reward. So I'm selling stickers for $10 each. I'm not going to ship them. But once you pay, the sticker is your property, so you are receiving "something" for your ten bucks. January 1st, I'll randomly select a sticker customer to own this awesome scaler.

Paypal $10 to barnyardbuster (at) gmail (dot) com. You are purchasing Goods. Mention stickers somewhere so PayPal doesn't throw a hissy. If you want more than one chance (I mean, "sticker") please send a second or third PayPal. That way I can use the e-mail list to generate the drawing, rather than try to keep track of them all. It's a couple more clicks on your part, but I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to throw in a wall-wart battery charger, so this rig is 100% RTR (ready to run)

I'll send the rig out to the lucky winner. If you're overseas, I might ask for a little extra to cover the shipping, and any taxes are on you.

100% of the money raised will go to the American Diabetes Association.

Name:  montero1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  montero2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  montero3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  montero4.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  77.0 KB