Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

GPS Units (Interested in Garmin)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GPS Units (Interested in Garmin)

Ok like the title says, I am interested in GPS units. Especially Garmins. Why? I like the name and the brand and it is a good company.

Yes I have seen the prices of the maps and they are pricey.

Does anyone use a GARMIN on this forum? If so what model?

I am particularly looking at the 255W package from BestBuy. Because it comes with two mounts and I sometimes use my dads wagon for long haul trips. So have an extra mount would be nice to stow away in his car.

Now I am not opposed to people recommending another brand of GPS. Just make sure it can compare to the specs of the 255W or have better specs then the 255W and be in close to the same price range. Or less, but with same or better features.

Oh yes a question you will ask... What will the main use be for? Driving of course, but where? I plan to visit friends more often now and most of them live a good three plus hours away. So a GPS unit would be nice for trips. Instead of using printed directions or god forbid old fashioned maps. Yes yes I said it old fashioned maps.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has the Garmin Streetmap 340 (one of the older larger units). Had it for about 17 months now and have had no problems whatsoever. I have the Nuvi 205, for about a year now and I like it too.

We bought my dad a TomTom for Christmas that he really likes. We ended up buying the same thing for my son and daughter for their birthdays this month.

Works and features on both brands are similar and I don't think there is a lot of difference. The big difference is in the charge to upgrade the maps of the Garmins. It is $59.95 on their web site. I have chosen not to upgrade until numerous destinations don't show up when I enter them. So far that hasn't been a problem. I think with the TomTom some of the downloads are free. I haven't really checked to see if the cost to update the maps for the TomTom cost more, less or the same.

Overall I probably like the Garmin a little better, because of familiarity with the brand name. They made both the fish finders on my boat.

Hope this information helps.