Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New 2008 C70 and Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2008 C70 and Garmin

I just purchased a 2008 C70 which is an Awesome car. I got it without the nav unit as i didnt like the one volvo provides. I was going to purchase a garmin portable and have it hard wired into the power and mount it temp on the dash. Now i found a press release that volvo and garmin are coming out with a unit that has a mount that is made for the volvo. I have called 3 volvo dealers and none of them no anything about it other the fact that they heard abaout it also. DOes anyone have any information this unit? WHen it will be available? is it just powered with the mounting unit or does it hook into the stereo as well? I hope it hooks direct into the stereo as i have found fm transmitters are useless for most part. I went to circuit city to ask about hardwiring a nav unit into the stereo and they refused to even sell it to me as they have had so many problems they said with late model volvo's when they have done this before. something to do with a very sensistive data path that doesnt allow add ons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is my first volvo and i am very excited to be a member of this community.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Default RE: New 2008 C70 and Garmin

ORIGINAL: carlc70wny

I just purchased a 2008 C70 which is an Awesome car. I got it without the nav unit as i didnt like the one volvo provides. I was going to purchase a garmin portable and have it hard wired into the power and mount it temp on the dash. Now i found a press release that volvo and garmin are coming out with a unit that has a mount that is made for the volvo. I have called 3 volvo dealers and none of them no anything about it other the fact that they heard abaout it also. DOes anyone have any information this unit? WHen it will be available? is it just powered with the mounting unit or does it hook into the stereo as well? I hope it hooks direct into the stereo as i have found fm transmitters are useless for most part. I went to circuit city to ask about hardwiring a nav unit into the stereo and they refused to even sell it to me as they have had so many problems they said with late model volvo's when they have done this before. something to do with a very sensistive data path that doesnt allow add ons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is my first volvo and i am very excited to be a member of this community.
If you go to the international/global Volvo web site they have some pictures, but nothing in the way of pricing or details. On another forum I have seen the Garmin unit described as being the Nuvi 760 model (or maybe it is some other number in the 700 range) - in other words, the top-of-the-line Nuvi. It is also apparently slightly "customized" to make it a Volvo accessory - possibly the only change from a regular Garmin unit is the inclusion of all Volvo dealers into the data base.

The mounting attachment seems to be designed to sit basically on top of the dash - in the pictures it looks like it is sitting on the center-channel speaker grill!

It would be nice if Volvo made the mount available as a separate item, so you could just get the Garmin unit at the nearest discount store, and also use it with other lower-priced Nuvi variations. But my sneaking suspicion is that it will only be offered as a package deal - get both the Nuvi unit AND the mount as a package. I've hear pricing numbers in the $675 range bandied about, but that might have been somebody's guess.

I think it's a great idea, or at least a step in the right direction. The Garmin Nuvi units are very nice.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a portable Garmin. It 'suction cups' to the windshied. Why?? Because I do not want the old Volvo broken into. Out of sight..............out of mind.
Additionally I can use the unit in my other autos and in the rental autos that I drive.

r.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought one for my wife Streetpilot 340 and use the suction cup mount too. Works great.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM

I had mentioned this during a similar discussion (on a different forum), but I recently read an article saying that GPS thieves have gotten clever enough to look for the tell-tale ring that is sometimes left on the inside of the windshield from a suction-cup mount, as an indicator that aportable GPS unit may be hidden away inside the car. Sowhen youput your GPS unit and mount inside the glove-box (or even if you take everything out of the car), it is a good idea to also wipe the inside of the windshield.