Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Motorcycle repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcycle repairs

I'm finally ready to start working on the motorcycle I inherited recently - 1981 Yamaha XJ650 (Maxim). It was running four years ago when my dad passed away. After sitting through four New England winters, I'm not sure of its condition. Appears to be good though. Now that I have itin my garage, my current plans are to rebuild the front brakes (they were locked up and I had to drain the fluid out to get the wheel to turn), install a new battery, clean the carbs, check/change the spark plugs, add fresh gas and fuel system cleaner andchange the air filter.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what to check on a bike that's been sitting neglected for nearly four years?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle repairs

Change the oil

Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh yeah, of course - I already drained out the oil to transport it.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM

So I got out there and started to work on the bike with my main plan to remove the carburetors and rebuild the front brakes.

While there though, I figured I'd check out the air filter and see how used it looked. Well the filter looks to be fairly decent - K&N performance filter. BUT the rest of the filter container was filled with what appears to be a mouse nest! I was glad that I didn't come across any skeletons at least. Good thing I didn't turn it on, that would have clogged up the filter really quick. I'm curious to see what else turns up.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you are off to a good start.
You might also have to clean the contacts for the electronic magneto or the points which ever it has.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi 99VV70,

I would also...

- Look for a service manual.
- Check the tyres, and replace them if necessary.
- Check all rubber hoses & parts.
- Make sure the accelerator handle turns & returns smoothly.
- Lubricate linkages & cables if necessary (especially the brakes/clutch).
- Check all light bulbs.
- Check any fluid leaks from the suspension components.
- Expect black smoke to come out of the tail pipe for the first several seconds or up to a minute.
- And of course, go with OEM parts.
- And of course, clean, polish & wax.

I hope this is of some use. When I was pre-teenage years I was into motor bikes, and Suzuki Katana 1100 is still my favourite.

JPN

Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the tires. After sitting for 4 years, I wouldn't chance my life with old, possibly dry rotted rubber.
Replace all of the brake lines. You can go OEM there, but you may want SS braided. If they've never been changed out, it is really worth your peace of mind and safety.

I don't recall if the maxim is chain drive or shaft drive: If chain, you'll probably want to replace it.

As for cleaning the carbs: Put about 1/2-3/4 of a can of SeaFoam in the fuel tank (full tank of gas). Run it for 1/2 hour. Then let it sit overnight. Then run it again. The seafoam will clean it right out.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

My uncle's a Harley mechanic and had helped my dad get the bike running in the first place. He suggested removing the carburetors and soaking them - I've already removed them and planning on soaking them in the next few days.Will the seafoam help other areas?
I do have a manual, andmy dad marked it up with some of the things he did.
Good point about the tires - they probably need replacing.
I'll have to check about the shaft vs chain - I think it's chain-driven, but I'm not sure.
In the past, the throttle handle was smooth (and it's real smooth now with the carbs removed - and the throttle cable unattached).
I will check the lights - I have to get a new headlight switch anyway since it was broken during transport.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm looking forward to getting it running in his memory, even if I don't get to ride it too much.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM

While you have the throttle cables off, get some dupont multi-lube (telfon and wax based spray). Lube the cables with it, you'll be happy you did.

After you soak the carbs (your uncle is probably using the yamaha soak, it works really well), make sure you have the carbs sync'ed.

Change the fork oil while you're tearing into the bike also...

Where in New England are you (or was that where the bike was)??

-travis

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
JPN

Generally, Japanese bikes come with chains rather than drive shafts like BMW does. I believe the same applies to the XJ650. It seems like the bikeis turboed, and also had fuel-injected engine as an option.

y2kvfr seems quite knowledgeable on bikes, and I believe replacing the drive chain is not a bad idea (unless it has drive-shaft which I doubt).

Good luck on your restoration project.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/9C8E82D415C94890944225AD87616AC6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for all of your help.
I think you are right that it is chain driven, but I'll check it (or the manual to be sure) - it buried behind some stuff in the garage.

I'll definitely get the dupont multi-lube.

The bike was in northeastern CT (where I grew up) and it's now in Alabama, where I live now. My uncle came by to help me drain out the fluids, get it ready for traveling and load it on to our trailer.

As for the soak, my uncle suggested that I take the carbs to a Yamaha dealer to soak (since he's up in CT), so I expect you are right. I didn't really know if there was a difference and my friend just went through getting his bike (1982 Suzuki 650GL) fixed up and running. So, he has a soak called Chem-(Dip?) or something like that that he used for his. Is there any reason not to use that one?

I've gotta run, thanks for your ideas.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Just make sure that the chem-dip is safe for plastic and rubber. You don't want to unnecessarily have to change floats and all the o-rings.

One other thing I just thought of: When you have the fuel tank off, give it a thorough inspection, look for rust on the inside (a real PITA). Use a telescoping mirror and a flash light. If there is any rust, I suggest getting Kreem. If there is a LOT of rust and possible holes, find a local wrecker, or ebay, or if there is still any stock get a new fuel tank. Kreem comes with an acid etcher, and a plasticized rubber that coats the inside of the tank. The etcher gets rid of the rust and then you coat it with the plastic. That way you can prevent your fuel filter from getting clogs.

Good luck! I know how much of a pain it is to resurrect bikes!

-travis

Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 AM

check the inside of the tank for old gas thats turned to varnish. that can be a problem on an old bike thats sat around for that long.
Id repeat what has been said about all the rubber parts (brake, fuel hoses mainly), carb boots too. Tires as well. they can all harden and crack. change all the fluids.

and remove mice...lol.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the tips - sorry I haven't posted an update to this yet... I took some time one Saturday a few weeks back and took out the old battery, bought a replacement, removed the carbs and then I ran out of time. I haven't had a chance to get back to it and now it's starting to get cold, so I will probably just wait until the spring.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Hi all,
As I said earlier, I'll probably get back to this in the spring, but I was working on the Eclipse in the garage and had the camera so I took some pictures of the bike. They're not the best because it's tucked behind the mower and it's somewhat stripped apart, but I thought you might like to see it...

Overall picture of the bike...
Name:  BikeFromFront.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  97.9 KB

The gas tank (notice some bubbles in the paint around where it goes under the seat) and a baby food jar ready to bleed the front brakes.
Name:  BikeGasTank.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  124.0 KB

And the removed carbs...
Name:  Carbs.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  99.2 KB

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
JPN

Looking good indeed...

Just went to Tokyo Motor Show and they had some bikes as well. I should've taken pics on them but I didn't. There was a fuel tank supplier and they had resin-made tank. The tank was of multiple layer and will never rust. Haven't used one myself, so I cannot comment as to durability and other considerations.

JPN