Penta Discuss Volvo Penta Marine Machines Within.

shot in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shot in the dark

Thought I would throw my problem into the forum to see if there were any similar experiences and solutions. Yesterday, as I returned to dock and put my HS80AE transmission into neutral on my D-6 370 after 3 hours of trolling. The alarm sounded, the red blinker came on and the trans would not engage. After docking I checked the error codes many times after restarting and trying to put into gear. The codes wee 2,4,5 and 2,4,7 , sometimes one or the other. My manual indicated a primary solenoid failure and a secondary solenoid failure. I assume the codes refer to the transmission solenoids. Now I am thinking of replacing them but wait there is more. In 2017 a similar situation occurred with my other engine and I had other error codes too but the problem was that I could not go into gear and replacing the solenoids did not solve the issue. It turned out that the computer needed to be reprogrammed. We assume the computer lost its programming tied to an event of needing to jump the engine at the ramp to get it started the week before. Now there is one other wrinkle. During the last trip on the boat the turbo clamp broke filling the engine room with heavy black smoke, clogging air filters and coating everything. The engine has been cleaned, the filters replaced, oil looks clean, etc. So do I get new solenoids (expensive), look for carbon in the computer, reprogram the computer (very expensive to do here in Mexico), or try something else? I am thinking that I should pull the solenoids from the good engine and put them in the problem engine and see if that solves the problem. They were very hard to pull out last time. Has anyone ever had these codes, 2,4,5 and 2,4,7 and found them not to be the problem? Has anyone heard of the turbo issue leading to the codes or transmission issue?

Old 02-20-2022, 09:26 AM

I found this old post of mine with lots of views but no responses. Thought I would share my experience and solution. As it turned out, the turbo clamp broke and I had a mechanic replace it and that was where the problem originated. After the next trip the transmission would not work. I brought in a Volvo Penta mechanic from an island in the Caribbean. He performed numerous tests and said I needed all new controls at the helm for several thousand on top of the money I spent on him and he told me to bring him back when I got the parts. I did not believe him and thought there must be a connection to the turbo problem. Eventually after checking so many electrical and computer parts we traced all the wiring and found that the mechanic that replaced the turbo clamp moved the wiring harness onto the engine exhaust and the wires melted. We made our own wire connections and it has been fine since except for once needing cleaning of the connections at the solenoids.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:27 AM

These new engines are so complicated [and expensive] now with all the electronics. I still run my wooden boat with a 1948 Chrysler straight 6 in it. No warnings to go off, I just watch oil pressure and engine temperature gauges.

I have not yet received any reply to my post from a couple days ago regarding the alarm going off on my V-P V8 engine status panel. I am hoping it is just a wiring problem, corrosion, etc., that I can find with a close inspection.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:50 PM

So true about complexity and the cost of these engines. The mix of water and electronics is a really bad combination. Mix in some unqualified mechanics and you really will be stumped