1984 240 Wiring Problem (found)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 240 Wiring Problem (found)

First let me say thank you to all who contribute here, the many threads and postings enabled me to fix my 1984 Volvo 240. In the spirit of this Volvo community, I wanted to share my experience so that it might help someone else avoid some of my tribulations.

The car; 1984 Volvo 240 4 door sedan, 260k, former import car shop loaner, had great care and maintenance, bought at an estate auction and at first (for several months) ran and performed great. One day all this changed.

The symptoms; while running, the charge indicator light would come on, the gas gauge and temp gauge would cease to function AND (important clue I missed early on) the turn signals would not function. When these symptoms would appear, the car would continue to run unless you turned it off and then it would not restart. Applying auxiliary power to the main fuel pump circuit would allow the car to start. I mistakenly started down the fuel pump circuit path, first replacing the fuel pump relays and then the ignition switch. The symptoms would continue to occur, generally anytime you drove the car more than 5 or 10 miles.

The fix; I read everything I could find on this website and bought the Bentley manual. The wiring diagrams were a bit tough, but I worked and worked thru the system, checking all wires and grounds. Found many small problems and repaired, but nothing that would pinpoint or fix the main symptoms. One day I decided to run the car until it showed the symptoms and then began checking circuits with a volt gauge or continuity tester, as appropriate. This is when I noticed that the turn signals were part of the symptoms and that I not only had lost power to the main fuel circuit (at fuse box), but also the circuit towards the bottom of the fuse panel that powers the fuel system AND turn signals.

Hmmmm.... so I pulled the fuse panel loose, removed the instrument cluster, unplugged the ignition switch and began back tracing every wire from the fuse box to ignition switch. The wire from the lower fuse powering fuel system and turn signals is yellow with a blue stripe and what do you know that wire was burned up in the harness! There was a bare spot of wire where the insulation had come off and it was intermittently touching the steering column bracket. I cannot understand why this did not blow the fuse when it would occur, but after unbundling the harness and replacing this wire and reassembling the car, the symptoms are gone. The car has been back on the road for about ten days with no reoccurrence, so I am cautiously optimistic.

This is an abbreviated (really) version of the story and I would have been lost without this website. Thanks so much to all of you who help and contribute here.