1985 volvo 245 cold start after 6 yars

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 volvo 245 cold start after 6 yars

Hey hey my volvo peeps. Bunchman here. I hope all is well with my tribe. I replaced my carrier bearing and bushing due to a nasty thumping on the floor upon acceleration. I'm getting a vibration now. Is there something I need to balance or adjust? As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

When separated the two halves of your driveshaft did you mark the alignment so when you put it back together it is aligned the same? This is important as the two shafts are balanced as one unit. If you assemble them out of alignment then it could be out of balance.

What kind of vibration are you getting? Just on acceleration? Deceleration? At speed?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Good morning. We did mark it but I had a hard time finding the mark it was not very clear. I assembled it a couple times and turned it around and I'm pretty sure I have it where it should be. I'm getting vibration at acceleration and at speed. The vibration seems to be an overall rattle and I'm not sure what to do. It seemed to be fine earlier in the day and when I went to drive it last night it reacted differently after sitting for awhile. Is there a way to balance it? Isn't there only one way for it to be assembled?

Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

just google for drive shaft balancing shops near you. It is possible for them to balance with the shaft in the car by putting up on a lift and then using a strobe technique. Call around and see what the shops recommend.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the tip! As always, I'm trying to perform the work in the most cost-effective manner. If I have to take it apart again I will. It just seems to me that it was balanced before and it should balance again. I will try to get some quotes though in the meantime just to see how much it costs. Any and all other contributions on this matter are still greatly appreciated if there's anyone out there that has a thought on the subject. Mutton for all!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 AM

If aren't sure of the alignment, take a look here where it describes chasing down driveshaft vibrations. Pay close attention to the orientation of the yokes in the picture. If you couldn't find your marks, there are just two positions for the driveshaft to go together to get the alignment of the yokes.

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-9...ationDiagnosis

Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the morning read. There's nothing quite like an invigorating, technical, thought provoking article to get the juices pumping! Seriously, thanks for the info! I'm going to put Misty up in the air and have a look at her undercarriage forthwith. I shall keep my results posted. As always, any and all input towards resolution of this matter is greatly appreciated. Stay thirsty my friends. Mutton for all!!!

Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 AM
Default Update: Misty is back in action

Her driveline is back together and spinning along. The two sections of the driveline both had the scribed arrows. The previous attempt I had them pointing at each other. I noticed the marks I had made on the flange so I turned the back piece 180° and we were back in business. Thank you to all!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 AM
Default Update update

Greetings volvo nation! Misty is still vibrating. There are two more possible combinations in the driveline configuration. If I can't get it to stop I will have to get it balanced. ? How can I do it while it's on the car? I've seen a video of it being done with two hose clamps on yutube. Does anyone know or, better yet has anyone done this? As always, any and all input would be greatly accepted and appreciated. Stay thirsty my friends.
p.s. what's the easiest way to rewire the two wires that have been compromised in the back hinges of my hatch? My license plate lights won't

Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 AM

The best you can do for the wiring in the hatch is to purchase a new harness as the wires they use in the harness have many strands to allow it to be more flexible. I have read online of people re-routing the cable so it doesn't go through the hinge thus reducing the amount of flexing. Only downside of this is the wires are exposed and can be snagged on items when loading/unloading the rear.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Default Misty's wired

Thanks act1292. Whee is this harness? Do I have to go under the headliner? Anyone else about the balancing? Excuse me, anyone else Please. As always, any and all input towards resolution of these issues is invaluable. To all my kindred brethren in Volvo nation, I honestly don't know where Misty and I would be without the direction we have received through this arena. Mutton for all! !!!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Default Orientations

Originally Posted by act1292
If aren't sure of the alignment, take a look here where it describes chasing down driveshaft vibrations. Pay close attention to the orientation of the yokes in the picture. If you couldn't find your marks, there are just two positions for the driveshaft to go together to get the alignment of the yokes.

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-9...ationDiagnosis
So quarter turning it are my only options left. But that's not possible because the yokes will not be aligned correctly? So balancing appears to be my only option?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bunchman
Thanks act1292. Whee is this harness? Do I have to go under the headliner? Anyone else about the balancing? Excuse me, anyone else Please. As always, any and all input towards resolution of these issues is invaluable. To all my kindred brethren in Volvo nation, I honestly don't know where Misty and I would be without the direction we have received through this arena. Mutton for all! !!!
on a 740/940 wagon (and on my wife's mercedes E class wagon), the tailgate harness can be accessed by removing plastic trim from the D pillar and across the back top of the tailgate opening, as well as the panel on the inside of the actual tailgate.. I never had a 240 wagon, so I don't know whats there.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 PM
Default Misty's wired

D pillar? I'll look in my Haynes and Chilton. Meanwhile, I've got Misty up in the air on jack stands and two ramps. I'm going to see if I can apply the hose clamp balancing technique. Thanks for the input............to be continued. 🤞

Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

D pillar is the rear most roof pillar on a wagon. sedans just have A, B, C pillars, where the A pillar is on either side of the windshield, the B pillar is between the doors, and the C pillar supports the back of the roof. a wagon has a 4th D pillar all the way in the back corners.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going through the same process in my 1987 wagon and can actually see bare wires where the insulation has just crumbled off and this is where I can see never mind what may be deteriorated in other areas that I can't see. My solution? Buy new reproduction harnesses. That way I know it's not some hidden wire shorting out under the manifold or elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

great post. very useful to the red block crowd!

Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Default Misty's saga

Good afternoon my Volvo peeps! Specifically MSG grunts, that was quite a post I had involving Misty. Thank you for your input although the harnesses you give illustrations of AR not related to the harness involving my license plate lights. The illustrations you've provided are invaluable to me and now my question is: How difficult of a task is it to replace those two harnesses? As always my fellow Volvo brethren, any and all input is greatly appreciated. Long live Volvo Nation! Stay thirsty my friends. Mutton for all!
​​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by bunchman; 05-24-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Wrong response