1988 Volvo 240 Won't Start/Rough Start / Idle in Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Volvo 240 Won't Start/Rough Start / Idle in Cold

Hello everyone, I am having some issues with my 1988 Volvo 244 with it not starting. For the last 3 winters, including this one, once it starts to get cold my 244 has trouble starting, or won't even start at all. I have had it looked at a few times, and whenever it is "fixed", it will quickly have the same issue. I have read a lot of forum posts and watched videos on common issues, and I still cannot figure out what the issue is.
Things I have done:
Replaced fuel ECU
Replaced all injectors
Replaced both fuel pumps
Verified my fuel pump relay is working (apparently there sometimes are two? I cannot find the other one, the one I checked was the relay in the passenger footwell)
Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner
Replaced the 25a blade fuse in the engine bay
Cleaned the flame trap
Checked to make sure I still had spark, which I do

I have yet to replace / clean the PCV, however I am planning on doing it tomorrow. I have read on a few different sites and posts that the issue may be a cold start injector, however I cannot seem to find one if my car has one, and I cannot find anything besides one image online that shows where it can be found.

This is a video of what it sounds like:

Here is a picture of the fuel pump relay I found. It was in rough shape, however I cleaned it and reflowed and soldered the connections, and after working on it I was able to verify that it was working.

I know that I flooded the engine trying to start it, however when I removed the spark plugs, the bottom of them had some fuel on them, and when I removed the MAF assembly to clean it, there was this much fuel in the piping behind it. In order to clear it out, as well as the fuel in the spark plugs, I took all the plugs out and cranked the engine a few times.

Any help and guidance is appreciated, I am lost here. Thank you everyone!