1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Power/Bucking

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Power/Bucking

So I'm working on selling my long lived Volvo, and suddenly it decides to punish me.

I was running some errands with it that I can't do with my smaller wagon (Mazdaspeed 3), and it suddenly started bucking, losing power, etc.

Under full throttle it won't accelerate, and it's way down on power. There's some popping off, and today under decel after a high throttle low power situation I got a couple loud detonations in the exhaust. I'm leaning towards either MAF or injectors at this point.

The oil smells like gas, and combined with everything else I'm thinking stuck injector.

I initially thought injector #3 because on idle I tested the exhaust temps on the headers and #3 was much hotter, so I replaced that injector.

That didn't fix it. Today I found a website that helped me use my OBD finally (I could never get it to work before, it needed some cleaning). When I did the injection test mode the fan worked fine, but it felt like injectors #2 and #3 weren't firing, while 1 and 4 were vibrating quite strongly. The idle air control solenoid worked fine, but I never heard anything after that, so I don't know about the cold start relay, radio suppression relay, or fuel pump. Couldn't hear or feel those, but I'm also not sure where they are exactly.

I gather this car has two fuel pumps, one in tank, but I don't know where the other one is.

I have a check engine light, but I don't get any codes when I check sections 2 or 6 on A. Didn't check any others. Not sure how to check the rest of the numbers or if it does anything.

Any ideas why two injectors would suddenly stop working? I haven't been driving it much since I bought my new car in August, so that could have something to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'm running up against a dead end here, not sure what to fix next.

edit: Just a note, I'm numbering the cylinders from the front to back, not in firing order, since I have no idea what it is nor do I care to look it up.

Last edited by pedal-force; 01-24-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Well, learned some stuff. I think the injector I bought was the wrong one, despite being a Bosch. It has some tri-jet looking thing on the bottom, instead of just a single pin.

The second injector works when it's not on the rail, not sure why, working on that still. I'm thinking the third injector was bad, but I bought the wrong one, so it's still not working.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Fixed it. Dunno how. Put the MAF back in, put the original injectors back in, and everything is fine. Go figure.